Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stroker Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Gonzo71
1st Gear Member

Default Stroker Kits

Who makes the best stroker kit? I have been looking at the DSS and Eagle. I figure that if I am going to run forged internals, that I might as well opt for a few extra cc and HP. I have decided to top off the engine with a KB 8psi intercooled S/C. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Old 04-25-2006, 01:41 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Stroker Kits

I can't offer any insight as to who makes the best. But what I can say is do your homework on whatever kit you decide on. There are many companies out there selling kits that the rods are too long in and it causes the cylinder sleeves to start to come loose in 12k miles or so.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:52 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hawgman

I can't offer any insight as to who makes the best. But what I can say is do your homework on whatever kit you decide on. There are many companies out there selling kits that the rods are too long in and it causes the cylinder sleeves to start to come loose in 12k miles or so.
BIG +1 - there are lots of stroker kits out there but there isn't too many who have had them for any length of time/miles to really give definitive feedback. Unless your builder really knows what he's doing, I would stick with just fortifying your bottom end for now and forget about the extra cubes. Ask specific question to your builder like, "how many stroker kits have you done on these specific cars?"
Old 04-25-2006, 08:25 PM
wannarun

I would recommend low compression (8-8.5:1) pistons so you can run some real boost on pump gas. You can always make more power with higher compression and higher boost but running race gas on the street is $$$. I would go with a reputable crankshaft and rod maker. I like CP and Ross pistons. I design and sale custom CP pistons for quads, so naturally you know what I will be running. JE pistons seem to do alright in cars but they crack in no time quads. JE tried to lighten the piston and didn't brace the pin bores so they flex causing a crack across the crown anywhere from 10-20 hours of use.

I personally was looking at just an 03-04 cobra crank and manley rods. I plan on 15-18 psi with lowered timing on 93 octane. Then pump in some 110 homebrew oxy fuel for the track and turn the boost up to 24psi for the track.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:29 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Im putting on my flame suit cuz i know that some here do not like DSS... I love em and if you work with them and tell them what youre doing they'll hook you up... I went with a long block with them so rest assured everything fit together right... talk to em... see what they recommend...
Old 04-25-2006, 08:47 PM
MJDGator

Anybody know much about ModMax? Thats what one of my local shops use exclusively for pistons and rings. They use Manley for the rods.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:56 PM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

I am going to keep an eye on Livernois motorsports. They answered a question about blower pistons i posted on another board "Madularfords" . They seem to be into the mod motor.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:37 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I went with the probe pistons but I am the first to say that our shop has had 3 bad sets out of 5 so that has not been a very good record. When they're the right height, they're great, but the seem to have a problem making them right the first time. JE's wouldn't work well in quads because of their new construction so I can totally see that but quads and cars are two different things. 80% of professional dragsters and drag cars use JE pistons and anyone in pro drag racing will not say anything bad about them.

As far as compression, that's a touchy subject. This is where it gets trikcy because of all the forced induction out there. Anything under 9 and it doesn't work for crap with twin screws. The saleen, KB, etc, make so much power low end that they don't like the lower compression and don't perform as well. I have a vortech, so the exact opposite applys with centrifugals. Give me a 9 or 10 and my car will not perform for crap. I am going somewhere in the range of 8.5-8.75 which the the MAX I can go to get the best performance out of my set-up.

The point is you should work with someone who REALLY knows these cars and the different set-ups to determine what is the best compression and set-up for your mods. There is definitely not a single compression ratio that works.