Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

WOW!! Fred's tuner package is AMAZING!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default WOW!! Fred's tuner package is AMAZING!!

I installed the JLTII CAI and SCT Xcal2 tuner from EVO performance with 3 of Fred's custom tunes.

Let me start off by saying, I am no mechanic, so I did not beat the usual time of 30 min to install. It took me about an hour to install the CAI. It is not difficult, I am just retarded. Menace warned me about the clip holding the the single screw mount for the factory air box. I was trying to tease the clip free, but when I thought one last bit of gentle suggestion would do it "SNAP", broke the metal clip at the base where the clip met the bolt. Boy, it came out real easy after that . Followed the install instructions for the JLTII. After installing the heat sheild, it would have gone faster if I had attached the tubing to the pipe first. Attached the pipe to the elbow second, put the cone filter on third, attached the elbow to the throttle body fourth and hooked the MAF in fifth. Then tighten all the brackets, jiggle the unit to make sure everything fits snug and go over the brackets again. It took me forever to find the right fuses after reading the manual and getting the fuse tool from behind the passenger side kick panel and pulling the five fuses under the hood. Hooked up the SCT and installed the 87 octane tune. Put the fuses back in, and took the car for a spin w/ TC off.

Observations right away:
1) freer sounding exhaust. Small blips of the throttle and there was a nice intake sound.

Driving impressions:
Throttle lag about 50% gone in the lower rpms (2000 and lower)
Throttle lag for the most part gone above those rpms

Holy crap!!! this thing is awesome. Every gear is much improved, but what I really like is how much better third gear is above 3500 rpm. [sm=gears.gif]And the exhaust note, I just fell in love with it all over again! Much louder when you're on the go pedal and it's still the factory setup.

Funny thing is that the gas mileage is still very good, when I wasn't in traffic I was on it, and I averaged high teens, sweet! Parked the car, popped the hood and retightened the clamps one last time, I think the heat from the engine softened up the rubber elbow because I got another turn on the screws before it was tight again.

I called Fred to let him know how much I was impressed with the 87 tune and asked him about how much better the 93 octane was going to be. He said the difference from the 87 to the 93 is really noticable, Fred said his 93 oct tune really takes advantage of the VCT. He told me to run the tank down to 15 miles left until refill, put in the 93, reflash and hold on![sm=happy046.gif]

I think if I put in the 4:10s this car will actually scare me!

Cliff notes:
Installed a JLTII + SCT Xcal2 from Evo Performance
Started with the 87 octane tune and the car sounds meaner, throttle lag gone, and it pulls much harder. The 93 octane tune promises to be even better.

Fred, your price, customer service, and most importantly your tunes are fantastic!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WOW!! Fred's tuner package is AMAZING!!

+1, same combo same ol Fred.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:18 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Well, I just installed Fred's tune. Fred is real fast. Called me to discuss and got my tuner back to me the next day. I installed his 93 octane tune on my auto over brenspeed's tune. I'm sorry to say I'm not that impressed.

Fred is very confident his tune is superior, but from the SOP it's not. The shifting at WOT is good but around town Brenspeed's shift points and firmness is more to my liking. Also he jacked up my idle to 800 drive and 850 neutral. I absolutely HATE that! I cut it back to near stock values and it's better.

Also, I think Fred's got the throttle lag about 90% gone, but Brenspeed had it 100 fixed.

Lastly w/Brenspeeds tune I was chirping 3rd, with Fred's I'm not. I increased 2-3 shift point 2MPH and 5% firmness. I'll see tomorrow how she is, 'cause I gotta put the kids to bed right now.

Perhaps as I drive it more I might notice an improvement but my first impression is this. He's got a good tune and worth the price, but if you already have a tune from Brenspeed I don't think you'll see your moneys worth of improvement to buy his on top of that.

I'm open to questions and i'll post back if there's any change.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/723649E50606414A94F9FCFFFDE6E411.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-27-2006, 11:04 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I only have a CAI and I can barely do a decient burnout in first. I would be shickled tickless if I could chirp it into 3rd. I need to buy myself a tune