Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine blown Where can I get one at reasonable $$

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:13 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Engine blown Where can I get one at reasonable $$

Sorry to hear about it but it sounds to me like you already have the inside scoop and don't need much help. You quoted Boss 330 so you are already in the right direction. I know 3 guys personally who have their motor in their cars now and they are top notch. You have nothing to worry about with the stock cams and springs - they are fine. I would bet the farm it was your tune and not defective rods. Even fortifying a new engine, I would strongly suggest (because of your location) you seek out a canned tune from JDM, Evolution, Berenspeed, etc. cause even with a stronger motor, you're going to need a descent tune. You're out of the loop for a good custom tune but there are some good canned tunes out there now a days and that would be the best route for you IMO. Your $$$ numbers are comparable for a built complete engine and you won't need that with the KB and 8 lb pulley. You won't know for sure till you pull them, but I HIGHLY DOUBT anything is wrong with your heads. I have been invloved with numerous blown S197 motors and I have not heard of head damage yet. Best bet would be get a new block or an MMR block or a tescid block and just get a descent bottom end forged kit and use everything else. You should be able to stay under $5000 for a good realiable semi-built motor. Good luck and PM me for any specific concerns/questions you have.

Mark
Old 06-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Tmack
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine blown Where can I get one at reasonable $$

Personally I'd go with a new all aluminum 5.4L from JDM engineering. They have modified the Ford GT engine for use in the mustang GT. 1,000+ HP!!