Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Scratches on paintwork

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 04:35 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Default Scratches on paintwork

Hey guys,

Been a while since I last posted. Had a question - I have a couple of light scratches on the drivers side door nearby to where you put key into lock.............are there any products that will do a good job of losing these scratches??
Old 06-05-2006, 05:19 AM
vponymike6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Scratches on paintwork

well, on your door panel there should will be a paint code on the sticker with all of the specs on it. Go to the nearest ford dealer and order a bottle of touch up paint in this code. it will be the same as your car paint now
Old 06-05-2006, 02:31 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

There are scratch remover type waxes, scratch color filling waxes and good old fashioned rubbing / polishing compounds. You said they were "light", so I'd try the scratch remover first, or........................................
A combination of these could make your scratches disappear or at least be tolerable.
I ain't a big fan of "touch up" paint.

JMO
Old 06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Lejay. It's awefully hard to get touch up paint to look right, especially on anything other than a chip. I use 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound - Fine Cut for swirl marks and light scratches. It's a very light rubbing compound best used on an orbital. Works great.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

I agree - don't use touch-up paint unless you absolutely have to. If the scratches are light and don't go through the clear or color coat then use a good polishing product. If you have an orbital buffer use it as the speed and motion enhance the capabilities of the polish. If you don't have one, try the new PowerBall from Mothers - fits into a drill and works really well. You can clean it and reuse it - works on multiple surfaces with multiple types of cleaners/polishers. When you're done with the polish make sure you put a good coat of wax on since the polishes typically do not contain any wax or sealant. Polish / light scratch removal recommendations: Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover, Mother's polishes and the 3M Perfect-it II polish mentioned above.