Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Pulleys

ORIGINAL: FastShadow

I see. Ok that makes sense. Im still considering the water pump option along with the pulleys. Just wondering how that would go together. Anyone know or have the combo? were there any significant gains etc
I had the same question. I want to do the pulleys and h20 pump as well. I think sleeper05 has both. Sleeper05 how do the water pump and pulley work together. Thanx for the help
Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

You can use the eH2O pump and an underdrive crank pulley but you will need a slightly different length belt, this is the best of both worlds IMO and is what I have planned for my car.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang Skeleton

ORIGINAL: FastShadow

I see. Ok that makes sense. Im still considering the water pump option along with the pulleys. Just wondering how that would go together. Anyone know or have the combo? were there any significant gains etc
I had the same question. I want to do the pulleys and h20 pump as well. I think sleeper05 has both. Sleeper05 how do the water pump and pulley work together. Thanx for the help
i can't get the needle to leave dead center no matter how hard i drive the car now. i believe the meziere eh20 pumps 2-3 times as much all the time as the stock pump does at redline. install was a breeze once i figured out the wording of the directions. the gain in hp was not as much as pulleys alone originally were, but i could def feel it pull harder and reach redline quicker...it feels a bit torque-ier. you also have to get a shorter (99') belt, but thats not a problem. for LA traffic during the summer, i would recommend this combination. i believe brenspeed sells a combo kit that saves you a couple $$ because you don't have to buy the water pump pulley.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

The only problem with the water pump now seems to be that if you blow a fuse or short it, you're screwed. Theres nothing you can do and you cant go anywhere. Isnt that correct.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:05 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I talked about this before. Adding a larger pully to the water pump makes it go slower. Same as when you put a smaller pully on a blower it spins faster. The larger pully is to take up slack so the belt hasn't got to be replaced.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

I talked about this before. Adding a larger pully to the water pump makes it go slower. Same as when you put a smaller pully on a blower it spins faster. The larger pully is to take up slack so the belt hasn't got to be replaced.
Yes if you install an underdrive crank pulley and it's matching water pump pulley then you don't have to replace the belt.

What I was referring to was if you run an underdrive crank pulley (which is smaller than stock) and an eH2O pump (which has a stock size pulley) then you will need a slightly shorter belt because you don't have the larger water pump pulley to take up for the smaller crank pulley.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:29 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I was talking about where you posted where the larger pully on the water pump made up for the belt running slower and it really only makes it worse. It's just to take up belt slop.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:31 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

You're right, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I typed that.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

I know it wouldn't be quite as much of a gain in HP, but
does any company just make a Lightweight pulley set that
has the exact same diameter of the stock pulleys just made of
a lighter weight aluminum??

This alone will drop rotating mass and make the engine spin up
faster, yet not mess with rpms of the individual accessories.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:32 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Driver72

I know it wouldn't be quite as much of a gain in HP, but
does any company just make a Lightweight pulley set that
has the exact same diameter of the stock pulleys just made of
a lighter weight aluminum??

This alone will drop rotating mass and make the engine spin up
faster, yet not mess with rpms of the individual accessories.
That would throw off the balance of the engine...

JMO

Rex

Quick Reply: Pulleys