Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is there a need to upgrade the exhaust on an 05+?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Default Is there a need to upgrade the exhaust on an 05+?

I might be getting an 05 GT sometime soon. I like to mod cars, but I'm getting this one with the thought in mind of keeping it stock because I don't care to spend more money than the monthly payments are going to be on it.

Is there a need to upgrade the exhaust on an 05+ model like there was with the -04? I had an 03 GT, and I knew it was a good idea to upgrade the midpipe, as that was its choke point more than the mufflers. Should the same thing be done to the 05+ GT Mustangs or are they already open enough as it is? I know from the sound perspective alone, they sound much meaner stock than the previous models. Much louder and the exhaust sounds more open, so I thought I would ask and see what you guys know. I'd like to not have to spend $400+ on a new midpipe, but if it really wakes the care up I might do it. I just don't want to go all out and do some mods that don't mean anything or don't really help anything but the sound (since I mostly like the stock 05+ sound).

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:03 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is there a need to upgrade the exhaust on an 05+?

You will gain 10 or so HP going to an off road pipe and getting rid of the cats, but long tube headers are where the power is and they are expensive. If you just want louder that is $400 or about..
Old 06-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

So the new cars mostly gain power from new headers and less the midpipe like the older models? The old models could pick up around 20hp or so (I thought) from a better mid-pipe. That's good that the new models stock are that much better!
Old 06-21-2006, 06:35 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The new mufflers are very good and don't limit HP. The HP gains are from LT headers and/or removing the cats (or going with High-Flow cats).
Old 06-21-2006, 09:47 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

The 05+ GT's have really nice exhaust systems. Other than sound improvment, there really is not much to be gained. The mufflers and x-pipe net maybe 7-8 HP if you use the right mufflers. Some decrease performance, not improve it.

Mufflers and an O/R x-pipe are worth maybe 10-12HP.

I think they did a great job right from ford. But it could be a bit louder at times. Other times it is sweet.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:07 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Explaced

I might be getting an 05 GT sometime soon. I like to mod cars, but I'm getting this one with the thought in mind of keeping it stock because I don't care to spend more money than the monthly payments are going to be on it.

Is there a need to upgrade the exhaust on an 05+ model like there was with the -04? I had an 03 GT, and I knew it was a good idea to upgrade the midpipe, as that was its choke point more than the mufflers. Should the same thing be done to the 05+ GT Mustangs or are they already open enough as it is? I know from the sound perspective alone, they sound much meaner stock than the previous models. Much louder and the exhaust sounds more open, so I thought I would ask and see what you guys know. I'd like to not have to spend $400+ on a new midpipe, but if it really wakes the care up I might do it. I just don't want to go all out and do some mods that don't mean anything or don't really help anything but the sound (since I mostly like the stock 05+ sound).

Thanks.
Ford provides a mandrel bent 2.5 inch exhaust with an H-Pipe from the factory, no shabby considering this is what we bought back in the 5.0 days, now it's included! As for the mufflers, they aren't bad either and if they sound good to you when you get the car, it's more than fine.

I thought stock it sounded pretty good, but the MAC's spoke to me, so I had to buy them, I really had no choice....

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396
Ford provides a mandrel bent 2.5 inch exhaust with an H-Pipe from the factory, no shabby considering this is what we bought back in the 5.0 days, now it's included! As for the mufflers, they aren't bad either and if they sound good to you when you get the car, it's more than fine.

I thought stock it sounded pretty good, but the MAC's spoke to me, so I had to buy them, I really had no choice....

Good luck!
I love MAC. I had them on my 03 GT. I went through Magnaflow and Flowmaster then put my MAC back on (I had it on first). It had a lot of drone which got a little old after a while (my car is a daily driver) but now I'm in a car that I can't even hear, so I even miss the drone.

Honestly, the Mazda6 is an awesome car, it just doesn't have power and sound. Those happen to be two things I really like. I went the more practical route with the Mazda6, and I think I should've waited until after I owned another Mustang before making that move.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know the stock exhaust is that much improved. I thought it was from how it felt and sounded in the test drives, but I just wanted to verify from people who own the cars on here first.