Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Switch to Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Switch to Synthetic

ORIGINAL: Black GT

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

ok so I exagerated a bit, but still this is not the type of car that you buy and then run that many miles up on it that short amount of time.
I agree, it isn't.

The only way I could see someone driving that many miles on a new Mustang is if its their only vehicle.
Even then, this is my daily driver and I drive about 75 miles per day... calculated out thats still only 20k per year.. add another 1/4 of your total annual.. thats alot of driving
Old 06-25-2006, 09:41 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

To clarify about capacity, I picked up a 5 quart container (cheaper per QT. in that size container) and already had another partial one to top off with.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Riven you have a bad *** 65 dude. Awesome condition!
thx man
Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Please define what is a "synthetic oil?"

Ford's 5W20 blend can be "semi synthetic" and "full synthetic." Looking closer, the labelled "semi-synthetic has a percentage (maybe 10 to 30%) by volumn of base-stock that has be "hydrocracked" - meaning regular ole oil from the ground has been put through an additional process to achieve a more stable "base-stock." The labelled full Ford synthetic seems to be an oil in which more of the base-stock is "hydrocracked." Both of these oils are considered Group III oils, do NOT have a "synthetic" base-stock, and can only be labelled as synthetic in the US (because the US has no standards on what is a synthetic oil and what is not).

Other oils such as Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline do use a synthetic base stock called PAO. This stuff is "made" through a process that uses gas (methane and the like) to actually make a consistant oil molecule - much more stable at high temperatures and pressure compared to conventional oils (dino, hydrocracked, Group III). PAO-based oils are Group IV oils. These providers also mix in some esters (another man-made or synthetic base stock (Group V)).

And.... all of the additive packages, the real story behind a good oil, dino or synthetic, are all synthetic - e.g. man-made!!

So back to the original question - what is a synthetic??

And a bigger question - Does the engine know the difference during break-in to make any difference what-so-ever? The answer is a big no. Use the so called synthetic, and if you have doubts, wait till 5K to switch. I wait till 5K as I change it so frequently before this to flush out the manufacturing and break-in metals, that the extra cost of real synthetics at this point is a waste.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

Agree...

ORIGINAL: Stooge

Please define what is a "synthetic oil?"

Ford's 5W20 blend can be "semi synthetic" and "full synthetic." Looking closer, the labelled "semi-synthetic has a percentage (maybe 10 to 30%) by volumn of base-stock that has be "hydrocracked" - meaning regular ole oil from the ground has been put through an additional process to achieve a more stable "base-stock." The labelled full Ford synthetic seems to be an oil in which more of the base-stock is "hydrocracked." Both of these oils are considered Group III oils, do NOT have a "synthetic" base-stock, and can only be labelled as synthetic in the US (because the US has no standards on what is a synthetic oil and what is not).

Other oils such as Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline do use a synthetic base stock called PAO. This stuff is "made" through a process that uses gas (methane and the like) to actually make a consistant oil molecule - much more stable at high temperatures and pressure compared to conventional oils (dino, hydrocracked, Group III). PAO-based oils are Group IV oils. These providers also mix in some esters (another man-made or synthetic base stock (Group V)).

And.... all of the additive packages, the real story behind a good oil, dino or synthetic, are all synthetic - e.g. man-made!!

So back to the original question - what is a synthetic??

And a bigger question - Does the engine know the difference during break-in to make any difference what-so-ever? The answer is a big no. Use the so called synthetic, and if you have doubts, wait till 5K to switch. I wait till 5K as I change it so frequently before this to flush out the manufacturing and break-in metals, that the extra cost of real synthetics at this point is a waste.