Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

It IS Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:33 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Default It IS Worth It

I finally got my electric water pump installed Saturday and I have to say that it's definitely worth it! I'm gonna have to say that the claims of 11HP to the wheels is true. My butt-dyno and my neck say there is definitely more power hitting the pavement! When I drove it after the install, the freed HP was most certainly noticeable.

That is all.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:47 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: It IS Worth It

Good to hear; but i have a question for you. I'm new to mustangs and modding them but how does a elec water pump make more hp and how much does it cost?

and are there any side effects w/ it?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:47 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Would you say the feeling of extra power is about equal to when you put on the aluminum flywheel? Just wondering because I'll be doing both in the future.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:55 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs
Would you say the feeling of extra power is about equal to when you put on the aluminum flywheel? Just wondering because I'll be doing both in the future.
Speaking of Aluminum flywheels, are people putting those in without balancing the engine?

Seems like you risk getting a rough drivetrain from the loss of inertia hiding whatever imbalance is there...
Old 07-17-2006, 11:59 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Going from memory, I'd say this feels like it freed about the same as the flywheel, if not more.

Johnnyv8, the electric pump frees up HP by not having so much parasitic drag on the engine. The engine is no longer burdened with turning a mechanical pump. The cost was $330+ and you also should buy a relay which is another ~$30. The side effects are more peppy acceleration and more than likely better gas mileage. The "strain" on the electrical system, as was mentioned in another thread, is probably near non-existant.

Now if I could just find an electric A/C compressor and electric power steering...
Old 07-18-2006, 12:07 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs
Speaking of Aluminum flywheels, are people putting those in without balancing the engine?

Seems like you risk getting a rough drivetrain from the loss of inertia hiding whatever imbalance is there...
You don't balance an engine with the flywheel. The crank is what's balanced and the flywheel is balanced separately. You don't balance your brake rotors when you get your wheels balanced, do you?

My drivetrain isn't rough at all. And when this clutch wears out (which will take forever at the (in)frequency that I drive my Mustang), I'm going to replace it with Centerforce's LMC (light metal clutch) and maybe a 6-puck clutch disk.

Sure do wish somebody would release a reasonably priced aluminum one-piece driveshaft, though.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:32 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Premi
You don't balance an engine with the flywheel. The crank is what's balanced and the flywheel is balanced separately. You don't balance your brake rotors when you get your wheels balanced, do you?
No, you don't but the inertia of the flywheel will mask any imbalance in the bottom end of your engine...

Factory motor balance has gotten better with the advent/viral spread of taguchi management, but is still hit and miss...

That is the whole point of a flywheel - to mask not only any slight imbalance but the shock of combustion...
Old 07-18-2006, 12:59 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

No, the point of the flywheel is to provide a mount point/go-between for the clutch/torque converter and a crank method for the starter (that's what those gear teeth on the outer edge of the flywheel are for.)
Old 07-18-2006, 01:02 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Premi
No, the point of the flywheel is to provide a mount point/go-between for the clutch/torque converter and a crank method for the starter (that's what those gear teeth on the outer edge of the flywheel are for.)
LOL - are you serious?[8D]