Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BETTER GAS MILEAGE

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BETTER GAS MILEAGE

I stopped worrying about mileage and took the matter into my own hands.

Why stop for gas when you can get fuel on the go?

Just a little roof-work, some piping, and I'm good.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

tie your pony to a mule or two, then shut the engine off, and put it in neutral

no, really- low gear
Old 02-15-2007, 02:32 PM
brapril714

Find it hard to believe all you want, but that is what I get. I didn't buy my car for the gas mileage either. I drive my car like a normal person. I like to get on my car some, but I'm not the guy reving and doing burn outs every chance I get. Take into conciteration that Oklahoma city driving is diferent than Dallas driving. I'm rarely below 45 in town. I don't see how some of you are only getting 13mpg.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:12 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

I've been getting about 21-22 in all around driving. I drive my car very gently though. Here's a tip that I would think was very obvious, but I'm surprised that I'm really the only one I know that actually does it: When you see a light or a stop sign or slow traffic 100 or 75 yards ahead of you, take the foot off the gas and drift on into it. Saves your gas and your brakes. That sounds so simple, but I am amazed at the folks I ride with that continue to keep in the gas until they get right up on it and then slam on the brakes to make the stop (my wife included.)
I've gotta echo this comment...with the fact that I've been getting 23 mpg myself

And this is just funny!

[quote] My car is not permitted to testify against me - I assert the owner/car priviledge...

If they feel a need to collect such data, I am sure I will experience a failure of that collection mechanism

(officer, that large, high power oscilating EM field just flew out of the bushes - I tried to stop, but it was just too late...)

I am sure the insurance companies will then (or already have?) lobbied to make it a capital offense to do so[8D] [quote]

Old 02-15-2007, 04:13 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Set your rev limiter to 1200 r.p.m.
Go on a diet and lose 20 - 60 lbs (and drive buck nekked in the summer for added weight savings).
Unbolt your entire chassis, and then put it on a Prius.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:46 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie

Set your rev limiter to 1200 r.p.m.
Go on a diet and lose 20 - 60 lbs (and drive buck nekked in the summer for added weight savings).
Unbolt your entire chassis, and then put it on a Prius.

oh my lordie I almost fell off my chair
Old 02-15-2007, 06:54 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sjyankovic

Interestingly, it is theoretically more fuel efficient to floor it when getting up to speed. The idea behind this is the fact that when the throttle is partway or mostly closed, the engine has to spend energy sucking air past the throttle plate. In addition, as the torque peak is where the engine is most efficient for power production, it is theoretically best to stay near that. Of course, this is more theoretical than anything. For example when applying heavy throttle, people tend to go over their intended speed, as well as the fact that under heavy throttle the ECU enriches the air-to-fuel ratio, thus reducing MPG. My point? no idea. try messing around with getting up to the speed limit with like 3/4 throttle and then popping on cruise control. even if it doesn't help any, the speed is why we have these things, and it seems like a waste not to use it.
in theory, communism is the ideal form of government :-D
Old 02-19-2007, 01:03 AM
carockwell
1st Gear Member

The Vespa works for me. No sense driving a 300HP car in stop and go trffic.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:57 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I've been keeping careful track of my gas mileage with all of my modifications, since I did them one at a time. I have a 2006 GT with automatic. Here's what I discovered:

1) Stock driving about 60 mph I'd get about 25 or 26 mpg on the highway. 27 mpg was my best, but I really had to pay attention to my driving and do 55 mph. Highway for me is rolling hills and very small mountains. If you live in Kansas I'm sure you'll do better.

2) 93 octane tune with STOCK air intake. A canned 93 octane tune and the stock intake. Plus maybe 1 or 2 mpg.

3) Steeda CAI and 93 octane tune. Minus about 1 or 2 mpg. I was getting the stock gas mileage or maybe a little less. I recall getting about 24 or 25 mpg highway. (Same hilly terrain)

Which makes sense, too. If you add air to an engine, you have to add fuel. Otherwise, I'd be running lean, right?

4) Steeda CAI and 93 octane tune and AEM Dry Flow Filter. I hate the idea of oiling aftermarket filters and wanted to try the AEM. I ordered a 9 inch Dry Flow Filter.

I found it to be of excellent quality. However, 9 inches is too long for the Steeda CAI. It was actually rubbing the hood. The restriction caused throttle lag and increased my gas mileage. Plus about 1 mpg.

3) I removed the large dryflow filter with a smaller dryflow filter, this time 5 inches in length. Throttle response immediately returned. It feels a hair less responsive in the city with the smaller filter...I think. The difference is so minor that I may datalog to see if there is any difference between the Steeda filter and the smaller AEM. Gas mileage was practically the same as my CAI with the Steeda filter.

4) Gears. I had 3.73's installed. Gas mileage in the city or in hilly terrain with lower speeds (about 50 mph) has increased. Plus 1 or 2 mpg.

Highway mileage is down to about 23 to 24 mpg. That's doing about 65 mph in hilly terrain. Minus 1 or 2 mpg.

For me, the best mileage I got was a 93 octane tune and the stock intake or my crazy, oversized, restrictive air intake experiment. If you do almost all city driving, then I actually recommend getting gears, too.