Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ca emmisions on 05 Mustang GT

Old 08-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Moose Tang

Default Ca emmisions on 05 Mustang GT

I have a 05 Mustang GT bought in California. From what I hear there is an extra mechinism to reduce emmision "SMOG" and that it decreases the horsepower. Does anyone know any details on how much loss and if it is difficult to remove. Also, will it require Tuning? I am now living on the east coast and emmisions arent as strict.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ca emmisions on 05 Mustang GT

ORIGINAL: Moose Tang
I have a 05 Mustang GT bought in California. From what I hear there is an extra mechinism to reduce emmision "SMOG" and that it decreases the horsepower. Does anyone know any details on how much loss and if it is difficult to remove. Also, will it require Tuning? I am now living on the east coast and emmisions arent as strict.
Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, there isn't any additional equiptment on the 05/06 for the CA/NY/CT/MA emssions package - but rather they test/tune/certify it to run cleaner than the 50 state standard...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:11 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

They are all equipped the same. And removing any emissions devices from the car is a Federal offense and if you get caught can be a nice fine. All cars and trucks are built to meet Calif. Standards

Richard
Old 08-10-2006, 10:36 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD
They are all equipped the same. And removing any emissions devices from the car is a Federal offense and if you get caught can be a nice fine. All cars and trucks are built to meet Calif. Standards
Well, they are all called "50 state", but CA/NY/CT/MA/RI (did I miss one?) require an additional certification from Ford that they meet an elevated standard... In MA, you cannot register a car which does not have the "certification" (aka "CA emissions package") until the car has 7500 miles or more...

I know this because I had a great deal of trouble finding my '06 with all the options I wanted and the limitations of which states it could be in maed it much worse...

P.S. - BTW - as it was explained to me - that "certification" does not include additional equiptment - it is just an additional rubber stamp and test from Ford.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Moose Tang

Glad to hear that all emissions are the same across the board. I must have heard wrong. thanks for the info.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:09 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I live in southern New Hampshire not far from Massachusetts. Because of our proximity to MA every car the dealer I bought my GT from comes in with the CA emissions package. I almost didn't buy from this dealer because I thought my car would be slower. When I had it 93 octane tuned. the tuner tried advancing the spark and had to back off some because he saw my car was losing power. He told me it was weird how some cars couldn't take the timing advance while others could. I thought about it afterwards and wondered if the reason why some cars don't like their timing advanced is due to the CA emissions package. I wondered if there wasn't some type of electronic limitation in there somewhere for emissions purposes. Dunno?