Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to do a proper burn-out? And not look like an idiot...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:28 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How to do a proper burn-out? And not look like an idiot...

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

This whole thing sounds really complicated! Never tried it on my '06, but on my '88, I just tach it up to about 4 grand and dump the clutch. If it starts to actually move forward, I get out.
You just... jump out of the car? That's insane dude! lol. I couldn't resist.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:52 AM
gregariousgreg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smoke14me

gregariousgreg-- Sorry you are correct heal toe brake not clutch. I usually dont tell someone how to do it from behind a computer. I also hadnt slept much when I posted that just flew back to Kuwait from the states and hadnt slept to much. Thanks for the catch and yes you are correct.
Military man? If so you've earned a typo or two. :P

I personally haven't tried a brake stand in my Mustang yet. Don't feel like paying for new tires. Not to mention a clutch and brakes if I screw it up.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:15 AM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

I am a prior military man now I am a civilian contractor, I got out of the army in 2005 after 7 years and 4 deployments.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:42 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

buy a line-lock for $100. it locks your front brakes only. that way you wont fry your clutch more than needed and the same for your rear brake pads. It's better than destroying $300 in consumables.

unless you are heating up slicks at the track it is pretty silly. there is no point. why abuse your car and wear out your $200 a pop tires for the hell of it.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:12 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

The stock 17's are $100 a pop.

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

buy a line-lock for $100. it locks your front brakes only. that way you wont fry your clutch more than needed and the same for your rear brake pads. It's better than destroying $300 in consumables.

unless you are heating up slicks at the track it is pretty silly. there is no point. why abuse your car and wear out your $200 a pop tires for the hell of it.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:14 AM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

A transbrake? LOL. Uhhh No! We don't want to lock the auto to rev up to a luanch RPM to flash a stall convertor. It's a burnout.

I hope this helps you I will try and post two for you the rolling out type and the brakestand as described in other posts. I do advise doing this in a controlled area or better yet a desserted area until you are more confident, and in better control. A wet empty large parking lot is the best place to practice. It's easy once you do it a few times. Forewarning it can be addicting for you and detremental to your tires. Once you get them spinning really fast you kinda need to let off the gas and keep the rpm's down a little in order not to hit the rev limiter and not wheelhop. I saw a dude egg shape his tires at this same burnout contest in an new 06 GT. Rev it up pop the clutch and hold the brake with your clutch foot. The car will move a tiny bit if your quick enough. This is also bad on your back brakes so the linelock is the best way.

REMEMBER IN NO WAY DO I CONDONE THIS! Do this at your own risk and please don't flame on the people and small street, and obvious danger involved in the videos.

1st one kinda a brakestand then rollsout and shifts 2nd.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=918734118&n=2

2nd A loooong brakestand...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=907407844&n=2
Old 08-14-2006, 05:16 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone for all the information!

Judging from what I have heard from you all, a total burn-out is way past what I should do. Don't want to fry my clutch or my breaks....just thought it might be fun someday to try it.

So for me, I think I'll stick with getting better at a little peel-out while taking off if I want to make some noise. Probably will need to mod for more hp though!

[sm=gears.gif]

Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

yes - per side - meaning $200 a pop to replace, unless of course you have ruined your traction lock and are only doing one wheel peels