Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questions about Mods/Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:50 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

Default Questions about Mods/Warranty

I would like to do some mods to my car when I get it, but don't want to ruin my cars warrenty completly.

The mods I would like to do are:

CAI
exhaust
tune
throttle body

If I did these, what wouldn't be covered under warrenty?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Questions about Mods/Warranty

ORIGINAL: SlinkyBMX

I would like to do some mods to my car when I get it, but don't want to ruin my cars warrenty completly.

The mods I would like to do are:

CAI
exhaust
tune
throttle body

If I did these, what wouldn't be covered under warrenty?
First it’s really dependant on the particular dealer. Some may not allow you to do any of them without voiding parts of your warranty. Others may let you do all of them with no problem so you should ask your dealer how they feel about what you want to do.

Exhaust – Of your list the exhaust should be no problem as it will not affect, in any real terms, the power train (i.e. motor, transmission, driveshaft’s, rear-end)

CAI – Could be a problem if it causes a lean condition and/or the filter is over oiled. Over oiling the filter can cause the MAF sensor to get covered thereby giving false readings to the computer as to what the oxygen intake/temperature of the motor actually is. What could that “possibly” void warranty wise? The motor.

Tune – Very likely to cause you problems with warranty repairs. What could it “possibly” void? The motor, transmission, drive shafts and rear-end. Depends on the tune if it’s aggressive or not.

Throttle body – Again could cause you problems for warranty repairs as well. What could it “possibly” void? The motor.

Now don’t buy into the hype of the “Magnusson Moss Act” as it is generally written to protect consumers from the manufacture forcing them to use their oils, filters, etc. However it does NOT protect the consumer if they use the wrong parts/supplies that do NOT meet the manufactures specifications.

It also does NOT protect the consumer or allow them to modify their vehicle from its original condition when it left the factory and that is a good thing. If you sold me a table designed to hold 100 lbs and you clearly stated to me that fact and I used it to put 500 lbs and then it broke would you replace it for free?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:20 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Sonicboom did a pretty good job explaining things.

In a nutshell, it comes down to your dealer. Technically speaking, for the dealer to deny you warranty service they must prove that your mod caused the problem. However, in the real world, good luck getting that to happen!

The mods you described are all pretty common, and minor. I think that most dealers wouldn't have a problem with it. But you never know.... One trick you can use is once you buy your modded parts, have your dealership do the installation. It might cost you a little more than doing it yourself, but then you can always fall back on that if any warranty hassles arise.

Also, as a quick note, don't waste your time or money with the throttle body. They don't do much on our cars and they are notorious for screwing up the throttle response and idle. There are several guys on the forums here who bought them, had nothing but headache, and then went back to stock.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:20 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

Thank you very much, both you you. Those are exactly the answers I wanted to hear. I will check with my dealer on how they stand, and if I had them install the parts if it would change. Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

its pretty much like this, if you have a prob and need the warranty, they will cover it as long as what you've put on didn't have a chance of causing what is wrong with the car. . . that is what ford stated itself.

also. . . Throttle body on these cars. . . i have heard nothing but trouble, everyone is saying to just keep the stock one. . . i would do some research before putting one of those on. . . just an FYI