Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why could't we get the Super Cooler Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:50 PM
OxSMSxO
2nd Gear Member

Default Why could't we get the Super Cooler Tech?

I don't see why Ford didn't make this an option. I don't know if this was ever brought up on this forum as I completely forgot about it's existance, and was driving when it popped in my head. I am not too sure on the cost, but I think for like a $1500 option some people would definately pay it, I would have. And if your not familiar with what it is. Granted we would need a factory SCer, but this whole system makes me feel funny.

"Ford's patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle's air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine's intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air - resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system's readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

"This technology plays directly into the hands of the enthusiast," Coletti says. "The SuperCooler provides the edge for the driver, and it is done simply by taking advantage of the hardware that already exists in the vehicle."

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lightning concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative."
Old 08-23-2006, 11:34 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Why could't we get the Super Cooler Tech?

What....dude If this exists or existed I would definately have one, that's freakin awesome. Pretty much one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard. For those of us like me who don't drag and really "need" a supercharger or want NOS, that would be a slick way to wipe out morons (ricers and camaros) on the road !
Old 08-23-2006, 11:43 PM
OxSMSxO
2nd Gear Member

Oh it does exist. Just never mass produced. I could see it one day going to extremes. A car with a good motor capable of 500hp only running a fraction of that for good gas mileage. Then someone wants to race, and throwing down the accelerator enables all your HP. Kind of how like you can shut down cylinders on a M5.

This technology on a car without a SCer, would it even have a benefit?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:45 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

My guess as to why is weight and MPG

Unless you know in advance when you are going to use it, you'd have to keep it running most all the time... So, basically you are running your AC all the time...

For the track it might be useful except it is so much easier/efficient to compress the gas outside the car into say a blue bottle and then spray it in as you go down the track (hmm, sounds like a something I have heard about, somwhere... oh yeah Nitrous!)

A bigger AC compressor, hose and reservoir don't matter much to a truck, but the stang is already pretty portly...