Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo or Supercharger (again?!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:45 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

Default Turbo or Supercharger (again?!)

Hey guys, I know some or perhaps all of you are sick and tired of this subject. But although I perfectly aware of the highs and lows of both systems i got confused again last week when a friend of mine blew up his turbo unit after running 12.6 at the track, it was his first time at the track, the second run while burning his 275s street radials his turbo started throwing oil!!

My question is which FI is more durable?? he had his turbo kit installed (correctly) about a year ago! i'm going FI when i get my new GT, i was considering a single turbo kit from STS as it delivers 450lb of torque to the rear wheels with only 6.5psi ! but my friends experience left me with more questions as now i'm thinking of a Paxton supercharger kit from Brenspeed, but then again, people say they have the torn belts problem.

BTW i don't like twin screws.

Any thoughts...please?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:49 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Turbo or Supercharger (again?!)

Too many factors in this, what brand of turbo, was the turbo new or used, did he repeatedly run the car hard and then shut it off without allowing the turbo to cool (overtime this will cause coking in the turbo), etc?

Turbos are very durable thats why they come in HD Diesel trucks meant to run 500k+ miles.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

None of the factors, the turbo is brand new from a famous name i believe Cartek or somthin.. and yes he let it cool down after his run. Anyhow sounds like you're happy with your turbo, I guess it was just bad luck for him.

Thanks man
Old 09-05-2006, 12:51 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Cartech builds turbo kits not turbos, don't judge a power adder by one fluke case, turbos are the most reliable form of forced induction hence there use in millions and millions of factory produced vehicles.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:17 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

I am going turbo. I really like the fact that you can control the boost with only a dial, not to mention the blowoff valve. I had an Sti before and they are lot of fun. I think I am gonna build my own kit because I know I can get a bigger turbo than a t-67 with better components for around 1k less than what more turbo kits charge.

ATt. Andrew