Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

attn all SC'ed mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: attn all SC'ed mustangs

I'm interested in the Whipple kit with the intercooler, any like or dislikes on this setup. How about everyone else's gas milage?
Old 09-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Whipple is a good one too, but I don't know if they've even been released yet for our cars. As far as gas mileage for me goes, it went down lol, because I can't keep my foot out of the boost range. Aytime you have more ponies you have to feed them all lol.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

The KB kit does come with the BAS and only needs the 9psi pulley for 460rwhp, no retune needed.

This is what I am running.

ORIGINAL: cekim

Also bear in mind that "460RWHP minimum" is about the maximum that you want to do before building the engine and the KB, like the Saleen requires fuel pump "enhancement" of one form or the other to handle this level of power... The KB is going to require pulleys and some tuning to get up to 460RWHP just like the Saleen. Not that both cannot get up there and beyond, but out of the box that is somewhat optimistic....
Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

My average mileage is down a couple of MPG since the blower install. Until the blower I had never gotten less than 20 mpg out of a tank. Now it is not unusual to get less than 20 mpg average. I also recognize that I have been accelerating faster. Speed comes up so fast I don't realize how much I overshot my intended speed. I have to be careful. Others have said it; it's like a different car.

But I am getting less mpg whether it's because of the right foot or not. I do keep mileage records and will check and post them this weekend.

ORIGINAL: Boss919

Hows the fuel milage with a supercharger?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:48 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

BAS is boost a spark and has nothing to do with fuel delivery. BAP is boost a pump and makes your stock pump work harder in order to push more fuel, that is what the KB kit comes with. If you are pushing 460rwhp with a canned tune on stock bottem end then you are a ticking time bomb, its not a matter of if your engine will go but a matter of when.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:19 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: motoxdirtrider84

I have been thinking about getting the Saleen SC installed on my 06 GT. Jim from JDM told me that they would install there Stage 2 kit with there own tune and it would have 450rwhp, wow! My question is...what is it like driving these cars supercharged? I think my stock gt it fast now...but sc'ed must be nuts.
Have you heard that song, "I've got a tiger by the tail..." That's what mine is like after the Saleen SC!

What is it like driving it? "Oh Hell Yeah!" is what I think every time I punch it!

Mike
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, BAS was a typo, should have been BAP. The tune is from KB, specifically for the combo I am running.

ORIGINAL: GJP05

BAS is boost a spark and has nothing to do with fuel delivery. BAP is boost a pump and makes your stock pump work harder in order to push more fuel, that is what the KB kit comes with. If you are pushing 460rwhp with a canned tune on stock bottem end then you are a ticking time bomb, its not a matter of if your engine will go but a matter of when.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Thought I should also note that the intercooled KB kit comes with a 8psi pulley. They give you a tune based on your existing combination. This tune may be used unchanged with up to a 12psi pulley as long the fuel you are using has high enough octane. 8psi requires 91 octane. I am fine at 9psi on 93 octane unless I get a bad load of gas.

I am hoping to go to 12psi with meth injection and 93 octane soon. The meth should not only prevent detonation, but fatten the mixture out some for a safety margin. How long the bottom lasts determines when I get my stroker/bigbore kit!

ORIGINAL: GJP05

Old 09-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

Mileage I have gotten on recent tanks of gas:

26.11 (highway trip)
26.33 (highway trip)
INSTALL KB BLOWER

In all fairness, the last couple of tanks have been mostly around town, no highway, but this is still low, as I have never gotten under 20mpg before the blower. I have had problems with a spasm in my right foot as well, causing uncontrolled acceleration.

ORIGINAL: Boss919

Hows the fuel milage with a supercharger?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:51 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Has anyone installed a Paxton S/C(basically what brenspeed sells)? I'm very interested in this kit and was wondering if anyone could comment, btw I think most companies that sell S/C for S197s have been pretty much around since the 5.0L days, it's like beer, they all get you drunk, but they don't all taste alike. Matter of preference. I do like Saleen, K-B, Vortech, ProCharger, Paxton and Whipple
S/Cs, I think properly tuned, on pump gas it becomes an issue of containment(not going crazy) on the street. As it is, it's very easy to get a speeding ticket in a V-6 'Stang. [sm=feedback.gif]

Quick Reply: attn all SC'ed mustangs