Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A tale of a Beemer and an 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 06:19 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Default A tale of a Beemer and an 06 GT

A couple times a week, instead of taking a lunch break, I like to take my new mistress (the one with GT in the middle of her backside) onto the country roads near my office so we can get to know each other a little better

It’s a great place to drive; long, straight stretches with bumps and dips through farmland, plus a couple ridges nearby where the road gets tricky as it winds through the trees.

Today I ended up on what turned out to be a fairly twisty road that I’d never been on before. Since I was just out having a little fun I was keeping it in the "mildly aggressive" range, taking 35 mph corners at 55 to 65 under complete control. The last thing I wanted to do was find a 15 mph hairpin corner or someone pulling out of a side road. (She handles pretty well btw, but I think the Eibach Pro kit is next on the list.)

Anyway, as I pass a driveway I see the nose of a BMW getting ready to come onto the road; M3 I think as I didn’t get a good look (no time really), probably a few years old. I’m continuing on my merry way when at the end of a particularly long straight stretch, in my rearview I see Mr. Beemer come out of the last set of corners, moving pretty fast.

I enter the next set, again keeping it real because I don’t know the road. However, this time when I hit a straight stretch I open it up a little more (okay maybe quite a bit), then enter another set of corners. This time I don’t see Mr. B before entering the corners.

However, at the end of the next straight he’s back in the mirror, just exiting the corners. This scene repeats itself a couple more times with Mr. B slowly making up a little ground in the corners each time. But hey, it’s a BMW being driven by someone who is probably more familiar with the road than I, so I’m not feeling any pressure to do anything stupid; besides, I’m just out for a quick drive (emphasis on the word “quick”), not a race.

Coming out of another long set of corners I come up to a 15 mph left with a stop sign ahead. As I go through the corner, Mr. B finally catches up. For me, the fun is over, it’s time to get back to work, and the road we’re entering is full of traffic, so with a little extra on the throttle I take a right, while he goes left.

I’m pretty sure that when he pulled out of that driveway he really, really thought he could catch me a lot sooner…but not today, boy…

…and if I had known the road a little better, not at all [sm=gears.gif]

The End
Old 10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
jlpskydive
1st Gear Member

Default RE: A tale of a Beemer and an 06 GT

Good story!! If it was a M3 you might want to get your suspention up to snuff before you let him get to close to you. Something about trains coming to mind?????? No I'm thinking about rails, as in how that M3 handles.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

I'm a big BMW fan...last sunday morning leaving my girlfriends apt, one of the new inline 6 bi-turbo coupes pulls up...i think its a 335i. anyway, i didnt even know they were out yet, from what i've seen, its an amazing engine. says 300hp, but i've seen some dyno's of them at arond 285hp in like 90 degree temps (dont know type of dyno or any other conditions). anyway, in photo's the coup sort of looks plain, but man, right next to my car it was just SEXY. i took off from the light not getting on it, and he just staied there (last i looked over he was playing with a cell phone) then i could hear him come up like a bat out of hell, and the turbo's and all...i'll have to admit, if i had the money, i'd own one...but then again, its like twice the price of my very sexy stang so i'm ok with it, haha
Old 10-04-2006, 12:40 AM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

I hear both of you. I like the BMWs too and would own one in a second (grew up driving my parents' 320i with the sport package). On the other hand the 'stang has her own personality that I really love too. I am just glad to find the handling on this car so much improved over the '67 I had in college.

Oh, and if it had been me driving the M3 I'd have caught up to me before the next straight stretch
Old 10-04-2006, 08:20 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

An M3 is Quick.I had a 325ci that virtually looked the same as an M3,but 100 hp less...
Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Great story....
Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Bish
2nd Gear Member

When my wife and I decided it was time to get rid of the Harley and enter the sports car world, she was insistant on it being a convertible.

Well, me, I'm thinking American and what better topic than Mustang.

She was okay with looking at them. She was also looking at EVERYTHING else. We test drove everything with a rag top, BMW's, Mercedes, Audi, Pontiac and Saturn. I was set on the stang since we were offered a great trade in on the bike and the price of the stang was surprisingly low for as much GT as I was getting. Reluctantly, she agreed but I knew something was amiss.

AFTER we got the GT home she still wanted to look at other cars and had been eyeballing a used BMW Z4 which still costs more than my stang was new. 1 week later she brings it over to my work with a car salesman in it. Two nights later we were signing papers for her to have her OWN vert, and a BMW no less. So now we have two sports cars and verts to boot. Plus we both have SUV's for the rest of the week. She owns her own business and uses here SUV (Nissan Murano) for hauling work stuff and stuff for the kids. I use my SUV (2006 Chevy Trailblazer) to haul my drums since I play in an ROCK band every weekend.

She's taken me out for a couple of spins in it and it's fast, manueverable and very agile. It has great pickup and acceleration. I think it might beat me off the line but top end I think I've got her licked. I'm certainly not going to test this cuz if I'd lose, that would be the end for me.[&o]

But don't knock those BMW's. They are made for performance.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:24 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Be glad the wife did not get the new M roadster, otherwise your stang would be feeling really bad after that race