Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

LT Selection Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:17 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: LT Selection Help

I have installed three different header brands on the new cars: Dynatech, Kooks, and American Racing. They are all excellent quality and they are all long tubes. The performance is fantastic with all three.

Now then, some headers are 1 5/8 and some are 1 3/4. The Dynatechs are 1 3/4. I belive that American Racing sells both (you can choose). I don't remember about Kooks but I'm sure their specs will say.

Either one is good for a stockish engine. However, if you are planning more mods down the road, especially stuff like heads, cams, or a blower, then I would definatley get the larger tube diameter (1 3/4).

By the way, any decent header will be equal length. That's the real key that seperates shorties from other headers, and that's where the real power is. The length of the header is calculated to optimize the powerband of the engine. Longtubes should really be called "correct length" becasue you could make a set with even longer primaries but then performance would drop. There is such a thing as "too long". Anyway, all three of these are genunine longtubes and they are all top-notch quality.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:23 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phatphil

The kooks work with the torque limiters, no problem.
Music to my ears. Also, I have Steeda Ultra Lites, so I dropped her abouy 1". Do you think I'd have clearance problems with the catted Kooks, or are they the same height as OEM?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:50 PM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the information CrazyAl, appreciate it ! What do you think of the SLP brand of long tubes and catted X ? I have the SLP LoudMouths and thought that making the whole thing with SLP products would be good idea. Or does it not make any real difference ? Thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 07:02 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RedNyt GT

Thanks for the information CrazyAl, appreciate it ! What do you think of the SLP brand of long tubes and catted X ? I have the SLP LoudMouths and thought that making the whole thing with SLP products would be good idea. Or does it not make any real difference ? Thanks
I have not personally worked with the SLP headers so I can't comment on "fit and finish" or fabrication quality. However, based on their web site the specs look good. They are real longtubes, 304 stainless, and according to the text the kit is complete with all parts included. They sound good to me.

By the way, you don't have to keep your exhaust all the same brand. The only thing you have to do is match your brand of longtubes and your midpipe. However, there's nothing stopping you from running one brand of headers and a different brand of muffler.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Hooker has a mid-pipe that uses the factory cats with their LT's

most high flow cats WILL trip a CEL
Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I have read (NOT SEEN) that the cats on the kooks become the lowest part of the car. Is this correct? That seems like that could lead to trouble.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riven02

I have read (NOT SEEN) that the cats on the kooks become the lowest part of the car. Is this correct? That seems like that could lead to trouble.

Can anyone with Kooks verify this? Ground clearance is a big issue for me.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Mustang Matt
1st Gear Member

I'm also curious about ground clearance with a catted mid pipe. Right now I'm considering the Kooks, American Racing or Stainless workslong tubes. Does anyone know which ones have the best ground clearance? Thanks