Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen S/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Screamin Yellow 06
1st Gear Member

Default Saleen S/C Question

So, do you have to get new motor mounts to lower the engine when installing the Saleen S/C?

I've seen the mounts included in some kits but not all. I have an '06 GT with a C&L Street CAI.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen S/C Question

This is hotly debated.

Some people swear that you need them. Some people say you don't need them.

I haven't installed one of these, but my take on the matter (from having read all the threads here and elsewhere) is just go ahead and get the motor mounts to be on the safe side. They are inexpesive compared to the cost of the blower itself! You can always buy the mounts, then return them if you don't need them on your particular install.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:06 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

Mandatory... No
Good Idea.. Yes

I don't have them yet, but I will be getting them before long... The hood blanket is getting rubbed alot.. (from the throttle body area)
When you take off, the whole engine kind of torques upwards, and makes a tight fit, even tighter..
There is no requirement to put these in befiore the install, so make your own judgement call after the install.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:01 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Agreed. They are not absolutely necessary, but are probably a good idea. I have not installed any lowering mounts on my Saleen s/c'd GT yet, but I plan to perform that mod in addition to a K-member brace in the near future. I trimmed my hood liner a bit to help with the blower-against-the-hood issue, but another thing to consider lowering mounts for is that it will eliminate the clearance issues between the firewall and blower housing that most guys with these blowers tend to get. Your only alternative to lowering mounts is to try and move the blower housing forward or bend the firewall to make extra clearance.....otherwise you'll get alot of metal on metal vibration noise.

But if you can't swing thru the fences for the motor mounts just yet, don't sweat it. The Saleen blower installation can be easily done under the stock hood without them. Just consider them a future mod if you experience any issues.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:18 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

You could always get a new hood that has is slightly taller...... cost you more, but if you are already considering an aftermarket hood, then dont spend the money on mounts. Although, I have heard different opinions about the mounts giving the powerhouse more stability over stock.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:46 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Yes, that's actually the main reason I'm about to go with some prothane mounts. With my Saleen s/c, the motor really torques around alot more than it did when I was still NA. That much torquing causes problems with proper take-offs and even shifting. Plus, over time....that much moving around can potentially damage or bleed out the stock hydro bushings.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:13 PM
mniadna

Who can you get the lowered mounts from?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mniadna
Who can you get the lowered mounts from?
http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=199
Old 11-02-2006, 03:05 PM
mikewillsmith
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5StangsandCounting

Mandatory... No
Good Idea.. Yes

I don't have them yet, but I will be getting them before long... The hood blanket is getting rubbed alot.. (from the throttle body area)
When you take off, the whole engine kind of torques upwards, and makes a tight fit, even tighter..
There is no requirement to put these in befiore the install, so make your own judgement call after the install.
+1 on that. I have a Saleen SC in my 06. Don't need the mounts, but it would be a nice addition.