Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

When adding a S/C what are some other "necisarry" upragdes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Badazzelanore
1st Gear Member

Default When adding a S/C what are some other "necisarry" upragdes?

Ok I am thinking very very hard about a S/C but I am a little nervous about what kinda can of worms this is gonna open up for me. What other upgrads are pretty standard with the addition of a S/C? Is a S/C a stand alone upgrade or will it require more internal engine parts than what comes in the kit? Will I need larger brakes, change my suspension etc... My best friends got a 04 cobra and I love his car and he respects mine, I gota be honest he does give me a hard time bout speed Lol. She's a 06 GT, All advice welcome! thanx alot.

Mark
Old 11-01-2006, 03:05 PM
millergt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: When adding a S/C what are some other "necisarry" upragdes?

Dude that spelling hurts my eyes to read, "necisarry upragdes" fix it.

You should not have to do anything major unless you plan on going over the 500 horse power mark. Everything else just makes the car ride better and safer. As always you will nedd a good tune for your new s/c.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Here's my thoughts:

First off, talk to your installer/vendor about the SC kit itself. Make sure it includes everything you need. You may need a bigger fuel pump or larger injectors or some other accessories that aren't part of the kit itself.

You won't need internal engine parts unless you want to crank up the boost and make more-than-standard kit HP. If you do decide to go HP-crazy, then be prepared to change a lot of things beyond engine internals--you will also need a stronger trans and rear-end driveline parts.

But for the typical "street" install I would consider the following:

0) Don't worry about internal engine parts. You don't need that for the typical install.

1) Suspension upgrades. You can easily spin the tires on this car BONE STOCK. It gets a whole lot worse with a blower. There's no point in having all that HP if you can't put it to the ground reliably. I would redo the entire rear suspension with aftermarket components to eliminate wheelhop and keep that power going to the ground. You may want to consider tires as well.

2) Brakes. If you're just driving on the street the stock brakes are fine. However, if you plan on road racing you might plan on getting a brake upgrade. Your car will be harder to stop with the extra weight and extra power from the blower.

3) Your clutch will suddenly become marginal with the extra power from the blower. I would buy an uprated clutch.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Haulupki
1st Gear Member

just do it You wont regret it. Most reputable tuners got these cars with a S/C figured out. But Be carefull though HP is very addicting. One word of caution.......You mention that your friend has an 04 cobra. His car can be made into a beast a lot easier than yours. I wouldn't want to get into an arms race with him.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Badazzelanore
1st Gear Member

well millergt, I did not know that I had to be an expert speller to be a mustang enthusiast. But if its really that important, Ill change it. But I would like you to know that when I wrote that I hadnt slept in 4 days, I had just gotten back from the middle east-24 hours in flight and 5 diff planes. But hey, thanx for the comment all the same.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:45 PM
tcoope13
1st Gear Member

all that stuff they suggested isn't manditory. you'll be fine with stock susp, tires ect for a while. You may want to upgrade down the road. Tires are next on my list, we have decent suspension from factory, but 235's dont cut it. you wont need a fuel pump unless you go higher than 450whp or so. you will need injectors, but they usually come with the kit. If not (saleen kits dont come with them) you wont need it, but you can't make as much power. stock injectors are good for about 375whp. all in all I say DO IT! I loooove my s'c.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 AM
carnut
1st Gear Member

2) Brakes. If you're just driving on the street the stock brakes are fine. However, if you plan on road racing you might plan on getting a brake upgrade. Your car will be harder to stop with the extra weight and extra power from the blower.
brakes are for road racing but for a different reason. yes they do usually improve stopping distances but the idea of big brake kits is that they disapate heat better and give you a better firmer feel.

as far as your question goes i would do it like this:

1) fuel upgrade - even though you might not need this for the power levels you want its still an important upgrade.

2) clutch - anywere above 450bhp will make it easy to fry the stock clutch. a new one will give you a better feel too. if a flywheel is on your list this would be a good time to go with one.

3) rear suspension - adjustable lca's will help a ton with wheelhop.

4) tires - with all the power your gonna need some sticky rubber to take off.