Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

whipple

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:45 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Default whipple

I'm looking to purchase a whipple supercharger and have some questions? Does everything you need come with the 725B unit or is there other items that I'll need. Does this particular unit run with the stock injectors and fuel pump? Is this unit on the conservative side like 400 to 440 rwhp? If there are vendors with this unit I would entertain some price quotes. Any info on what comes in the complete kit would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:54 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: whipple

Call Jared at Lethal Performance he can answer all you questions as well as give you a great price.

Earl
Old 12-07-2006, 07:59 AM
FL510

I just ordered my whipple from Lethal Performance.
They have the best price I've been able to find.
Manual trans is supose to have 405-415rwhp with the nonintercooled like I ordered.
470-480rwhp HO. intercooled version.

CK. whipple.com for info on the SC.
they include everything you should need ie.
new fuel pump(easy install)
fuel injectors
etc.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:52 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:23 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Hey Phil, I've been looking at both KBs and Whipples (pretty much on the fence between the two), but I noticed that the only thing that Whipple doesn't include in their kit that KB does is spark plugs that are one range colder. I've seen them priced anywhere from $80 (reseller) to $140 for a set. If you don't put in the colder plugs you may get pinging and we know you don't want that.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:32 PM
FL510

The whipple site says that they include sparkplugs.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FL510

The whipple site says that they include sparkplugs.
Yeah you're right. I got it backwards. KB doesn't include the plugs. Sorry about that. When I was comparing the two (the Whipple HO vs the KB 9psi) I came up with about only $150 more for the Whipple and that must be because they include the plugs and KB doesn't. I'm having a hard time deciding between these two since you get basically the same HP for about the same price (475 WHPWhipple vs 462 WHP KB). People have said that the Whipple is more expensive, but it doesn't look that way to me. The thing that might push me toward the KB is that the air intake is actually down by the bumper so it will be taking in cooler air (but then again if it's at about the same HP as the Whipple, who knows?). More mods to do first anyway.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48298/35270E3F73744AD39228858BD6DEE0D7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2006, 09:43 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

The Whipple kit also includes the GT500 pumps and harness compared to KB’s boost-a-pump. This is a system that JDM sells for $900 and Ford Racing is just coming out with for $700+. You should factor this in your considerations.

Earl
Old 12-07-2006, 09:46 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

saleen forever
Old 12-07-2006, 11:18 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

The Whipple kit also includes the GT500 pumps and harness compared to KB’s boost-a-pump. This is a system that JDM sells for $900 and Ford Racing is just coming out with for $700+. You should factor this in your considerations.

Earl
Yeah, I have considered that. The stock fuel pump on the Mustang GT is the Focus fuel pump and I read that it was rated to support up to 600 HP so it doesn't really need replacement. Raising the fuel pressure by installing the GT500 pump raises the fuel temperature as well as that additional pressure is there even when it's not needed. When you raise the fuel pressure like that, the computer actually shortens the injector duration so the tune that Whipple provides has to compensate for that (they're basically working both ends of the issue). The boost-a-pump merely raises the voltage to the stock pump to produce the additional fuel pressure only when needed. It tends to keep both the fuel and the pump cooler. The boost-a-pump should also be an easier install. It's another reason why I'm leaning toward KB, but I still haven't made up my mind yet. The KB is also a larger displacement unit so it will run at slower RPMs and have less of a chance for belt slippage and it may take less HP to run it, but the rotors on the Whipple are a new & improved design which may cut down on the amount of HP needed to run it (and improve efficiency). All that said both of these units are very, very good at what they do so it's a hard decision. I'm sure that I'll be happy with which ever one I end up with.
The Saleen is also a good unit, but I prefer to have a hand held tuner instead of having to send my chip off to Saleen and wait for it to come back and hope it doesn't get lost in the mail or elsewhere. That tuner could come in handy later.

Quick Reply: whipple