Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who would ever think it, a course unless your a mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default Who would ever think it, a course unless your a mechanic

I have been getting a check engine light code P0506 and finally went and done something about it. The code is unusual idling speed. Generally low then it rises. Anyway I had to pay Ford 98 dollars for the test to find out I had too much carbon built up in the throttle body and though out the fuel system. Thanks CAI. Ford recommends this fuel system cleaning every 30,000 miles. So today cost me about 300 dollars . Merry Christmas!
Oil change 30.00 dollars . Test 98 dollars. Cleaning 159.00 dollars. Yeah sweet. By the way I have 37 ,000 miles on the car.

Also you have to make sure you return your original tune to stock before they run the test on it because it can destroy your other tune so my service clerk informed me. [&:][&:][&:][:-][:-][:@][:@]
Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Who would ever think it, a course unless your a mechanic

Something sounds fishy to me.

How the heck does carbon get into the fuel system and the throttle body??

Carbon is a by-product of combustion (burning). All the burning of fuel happens inside the engine's cylinders. The only parts exposed to the combustion process are the tops of the pistons, the aptly-named combustion chambers of the cylinder heads, the bottoms of the intake valves, and the exhaust valves. Oh, and the spark plugs.

There is no way carbon could build up on your throttle body or inside the fuel system, unless your entire car caught fire and burned to a crisp.

Methinks Ford had no idea what the actual problem was, cleared the code, dumped a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into your gas tank and sent you on your way, minus the $300 of course...
Old 12-07-2006, 09:26 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Something sounds fishy to me.

How the heck does carbon get into the fuel system and the throttle body??

Carbon is a by-product of combustion (burning). All the burning of fuel happens inside the engine's cylinders. The only parts exposed to the combustion process are the tops of the pistons, the aptly-named combustion chambers of the cylinder heads, the bottoms of the intake valves, and the exhaust valves. Oh, and the spark plugs.

There is no way carbon could build up on your throttle body or inside the fuel system, unless your entire car caught fire and burned to a crisp.

Methinks Ford had no idea what the actual problem was, cleared the code, dumped a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into your gas tank and sent you on your way, minus the $300 of course...
I agree with that 100% About the only thing that could possibly have built up is some oil residue from the PCV line that come off the passengerside valve cover and goes into the intake. And that would not be carbon buildup and the CAI would not be at fault for this.

On the bright side your dealership appears to be somewhat MOD friendly unless of course they tried to blame it on the CAI and tune.

Richard
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Did they kiss you and walk you to the door after that screwin?

Echoing what Al said, how the hell do you get carbon build up on the throttle body and in the fuel system?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Big +1

but also why wasnt it coved under waranty? because they said the CAI did it?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I actually saw the carbon built up in the throttle body and then was showed the computer proving it showing that the idling was rough. I was furthermore explained that the fuel system would be also corrupted. The car revs higher now since the cleaning and it also has more power. Believe or not. I was also informed that the CAI does not filter as well as the stock filter. I would have to agree. Also I was explained to keep the filter oil regularly. Call me screwed or whatever but it's just something I wanted share with you.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

What you "saw" on the throttle body could not have been carbon. It could have been oil mist residue or it could have been dust that somehow came through the air filter. But I assure that it was not carbon.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if you saw it, then i believe you. thanks for posting, any
info is good info

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

I actually saw the carbon built up in the throttle body and then was showed the computer proving it showing that the idling was rough. I was furthermore explained that the fuel system would be also corrupted. The car revs higher now since the cleaning and it also has more power. Believe or not. I was also informed that the CAI does not filter as well as the stock filter. I would have to agree. Also I was explained to keep the filter oil regularly. Call me screwed or whatever but it's just something I wanted share with you.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman
Echoing what Al said, how the hell do you get carbon build up on the throttle body and in the fuel system?
Umm, if you store fireworks in your engine compartment and coal in the gas tank???
Old 12-08-2006, 07:28 AM
skinjob
1st Gear Member

I always like to keep some coal on hand.. just in case I run out of gasoline.

-J

ORIGINAL: Herknav
Umm, if you store fireworks in your engine compartment and coal in the gas tank???

Quick Reply: Who would ever think it, a course unless your a mechanic