Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

Default Headers

Ok I'm a total new guy at this.........I'm looking to get headers for my 05 gt. But my question is what is the major difference in performance between Shorty headers and long headers?? Which are better to get??
Old 12-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Headers

From what i hear. Shorty headers are a waste, long tubes are the only way to go...
Old 12-15-2006, 10:37 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

LTs or nothing...

The American Racing Headers are one of the Best if not the best for the S197's
Old 12-15-2006, 11:07 PM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, shorties = waste. L/T's...now were talking! Kooks and American Racing are some of the best headers out there.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

Where do i get a good price for American racing headers?? website??

thanks guys
Old 12-18-2006, 08:34 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Call up Lethal Performance, they don't have them on the site but they are where I got mine. They have a 5% off deal right now.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:54 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Hey vsop, so you have the 1 5/8" primaries or 1 3/4"? I've been looking at Dynatechs, but they only come with 1 3/4" primaries. I'm not sure if I'm going to supercharge the car later or not, so I want to stick with the smaller primaries just in case I don't. Do you know if they grind the welds flat on the flange where the primary tubes are welded up? It looks like they do in the pics on the website, but I want to be sure. I don't want some cheaper header with that primary tube weld still there...they say it acts like an O ring, but they don't seal as good and you can warp the flange if you torque the bolts too tight.
Did you notice any increase in noise with the O/R pipe? I've heard some guys say that the O/R pipe is too loud for them. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the cats or not. They did away with emission testing where I live so I can go either way.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:41 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

I went with the 1 & 3/4th primaries. The tack weld the tubes to the flange on the ooutside and then weld from the inside from what I remember. Then they grind the inside smooth. So you will have no issues at all. The flange I would say is impossible to warp on these long as your head is not warped. The flange is so thick that you would probably break a bolt or have an exhaust leak if the head was not true before the flange would warp.

With the O/R X its real loud on my car when I get on it.. But that is also due to the fact that I have the zoomers Axel Back. I wanted my car loud. When I a on the highway doin 80mph with cruise control on its not very loud at all and zero drone.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:39 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info...they sound like the real deal.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Bayouboy4.6
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsop

I went with the 1 & 3/4th primaries. The tack weld the tubes to the flange on the ooutside and then weld from the inside from what I remember. Then they grind the inside smooth. So you will have no issues at all. The flange I would say is impossible to warp on these long as your head is not warped. The flange is so thick that you would probably break a bolt or have an exhaust leak if the head was not true before the flange would warp.

With the O/R X its real loud on my car when I get on it.. But that is also due to the fact that I have the zoomers Axel Back. I wanted my car loud. When I a on the highway doin 80mph with cruise control on its not very loud at all and zero drone.

how does your zoomers sound with th o/r x-pipe, are they a raspy, crackling sound or are they deep rumble. and how much was your axel back.

Quick Reply: Headers