Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Track visit upcoming... tips ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:05 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Default Track visit upcoming... tips ?

Hello there, well I have been street racing long enough to know its not that fun and dangerous, so I have decided to go to the local raceway and actually start getting serious, I have some questions for those with experience:

1. 1/4 mile track, Auto with no trans brake or brake control, best way to launch without spinning? TCS on or off ?

2. After launch, just peg it to the floor? don't I need to keep an eye on RPMs ?

3. What should I set my tire pressure too? I have factory Pirelli's , runs will be done in AZ, so about 65 to 70 degrees, very dry.

thanks for all your suggestions

Old 12-27-2006, 06:17 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Track visit upcoming... tips ?

I would go with TCS off!
It's an auto so just peg it to the floor aftre launch and let the car do the rest!
Warm them up first with a good long burnout! I would set the tire pressure a little less..if rated at 32 psi I would go at about 26-28 psi.....if rated at 40 psi I would go 30 psi!

I am not sure about the launch to prevent spinning...last post I read the guy would launch at a little over half pedal pressure for a 1/2 sec off the line then full throttle! Hope it helps and I have a stick so I am not sure about the launch.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: mygt500

I would go with TCS off!
It's an auto so just peg it to the floor aftre launch and let the car do the rest!
Warm them up first with a good long burnout! I would set the tire pressure a little less..if rated at 32 psi I would go at about 26-28 psi.....if rated at 40 psi I would go 30 psi!

I am not sure about the launch to prevent spinning...last post I read the guy would launch at a little over half pedal pressure for a 1/2 sec off the line then full throttle! Hope it helps and I have a stick so I am not sure about the launch.
lol, gt500, no more burnouts for you on stock crapellies! [sm=nono.gif]

1st, I would let a few PSI out of the rear tires to help you hook, but these are the Nero Zeroes, and they have "zero" traction.
2nd, you will want to launch on the light before the "go" light, that help you a lot with R.T's( Not sure about all tracks, but mine you have enough time to hit the gas right before the green flashes)
3rd, you do want to turn TCS off, it pulls timing and you accelerate slower if it is left on.
4th, since you have an auto you don't have to watch the tach that much, when you are staging and getting ready to go, launch at 2000-2500 RPMs.
5th, when you are waiting in line, see if you can pop your hood or buy a bag of ice to put on the motor, our cars hate being hot.
6th, You are on the stock tires, not drag radials, so don't give it, "a good long burnout!" maybe a little spin to clear out debris from the tires but thats it.
7th, ask some locals down there about some tips, most people at the tracks are good people and will help you.
8th, make sure to have a good time. and bring a camera!
Old 12-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Everything that KTownGT has mention, plus also turn off your Overdrive. I have been luanching from around 2200 RPM.

and yes, get some picsand post your times, its a blast !!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:27 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

I ran my Auto GT a few months ago. It only had 2,900 miles on her.With Cai, 87 tune, full tank of gas, eveything else in her,like a daily driver, spare tire ect..And going intoa 35 mile head wind. I ran 13.7 at 99.62. TC off and onlypowerbrakingto 2,500 rpms. My 60ft times sucked. I needed to come off the line at a higher Rpm. More like 3,500 to 4,000 rpm's. Hitting4th gear sucks big time.It feels like1/2hp is taken away. Car andDriver is right when they called it powersucking black hole. Next spring i am goingwith the 93 tune and less gas in the tank,and takingout the spare tire and jack ect... Lower the rear tire psito 22 pounds andup the fronts to 40 psi.And if i can sweet talk the wife into it 4.10 gears.I hope to be on the low 13 secrange.