Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

power braking

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:24 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default power braking

I think that what its called...you just rev up the car; drop the clutch then hold down the brakes. well anyway; this is my 1st rwd 8cyc car that has some power to it. I plan on going to the track soon and figured i would try out a burn out before i go. So i reved up car up to 4; droped the clutch and switch my left foot over the brake and my car would just stall out...

is there somehting im doing wrong or is this some kind of saftey thing on my car?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: power braking

Did you have traction control turned off?

I'd recommend a linelock kit to lock just the front brakes if you're going to the track. Power braking is bad for your rear brakes. I'm sure you could warp your rear rotors after just one burnout, but 2-3 in a row at the track is a guaranteed warp set of rotors.

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

I think that what its called...you just rev up the car; drop the clutch then hold down the brakes. well anyway; this is my 1st rwd 8cyc car that has some power to it. I plan on going to the track soon and figured i would try out a burn out before i go. So i reved up car up to 4; droped the clutch and switch my left foot over the brake and my car would just stall out...

is there somehting im doing wrong or is this some kind of saftey thing on my car?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:14 PM
azbigmike

I am pretty sure power braking is what automatics guys do. Hold down the brake and press down the accelorator to so one could do a burn out or launch. What you are doing is just a standard approach to doing a burn out. My suggestion is to get a line lock. Also turn off the traction control and when you dump it, dont hold the brake down all the way, just enough to keep the car from moving and just enough to keep the back tires spinning. I also read somewhere or watched on tv that you can't literally warp rotors but create uneven spots to the rotor and brake pads. Which cause brake vibrations. Just keep it off the rev limiter and you should do just fine. Practice on a smooth surface with water so it isn't as bad on the tranny and easier for the tires to break loose and it won't wear down the rubber as much. Thats why at the track they have a burn out box with water to heat up the tires and clean them off. Couple of seconds in there then ease off the brake to bring the car out of the box to get the water and crap off and able to get the tires sticky with the glue they put on the track. Drive around them, then back the rear tires in there so you don't get the fronts wet when going down the track to ensure you have better control when doing so. Again I am not 100% correct on my information but I am pretty sure I am very close. Hope this helps. Plus one or two burn out don't hurt , doing major ones would hurt your wallet when getting new tires.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

thanks guys; i had my tcs off. but I'll look into line brakes; is that something ford has? or do i have to go aftermarket and how about warr?

I've had a sport car since i was 17(now 22) butnever really got into drag racing and really do what to get into it!
Old 12-28-2006, 01:42 AM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

thanks guys; i had my tcs off. but I'll look into line brakes; is that something ford has? or do i have to go aftermarket and how about warr?

I've had a sport car since i was 17(now 22) butnever really got into drag racing and really do what to get into it!
Look up Hurst LINE Locks http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_15091_-1
Old 12-28-2006, 03:05 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

give it more gas, i can powerbrake anywhere anytime in my 5 speed, dont be scared to give it gas, but dont be scared to ruin your tires, rotors or pads also
Old 12-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Saleen302
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

give it more gas, i can powerbrake anywhere anytime in my 5 speed, dont be scared to give it gas, but dont be scared to ruin your tires, rotors or pads also
and clutch. Can get very expensive. There are cheaper ways to get an erection.