Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:04 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How to?

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

ORIGINAL: Mustang Maniac

look richard lets say you slam on the brakes, yesi will agree you lose traction when you lock up the brakes, but the car will begin to rotate left/right and when you let off the brakes you will regain traction and it will go in the direction your car rotated to. now you say to drive slow in snow, well what if you find out someone close to youis in the hospital in critical condition, i can bet youd be goin over the speed limit. besides i dont care if you are goin 45 andyou are following someone, if they wipe out there is no drive slow and aware about it, its know how to drive or youll be on the tow truck behind them.
All I can say to this reply is WOW!!

Let me ask you this. Do you honestly think if you slam on the brakes in snow/ice and begin to slide that simply letting your foot off the brake pedal is going to gain you full control of the car again. If so then you are sadly mistaken, once you begin that slide on ice/snow you usually do not stop until you hit and immovable object. Also referencing why race cars do not have ABS is absolutely stupid. Those are PROFESSIONAL RACE CAR DRIVERS of which most people are NOT.

And to answer your hypothetical emergency. Yes i may drive above the speed limit if condition allow but i also drive very defensively and watch for others who drive with their heads up their asses. Besides it doest Snow where i live.

Richard
+1

If you're sliding on the snow/ice without any traction and you can't stop, the only thing getting your car angled to the left or right will do is this: instead of hitting the car in front of you with your front bumper, you'll hit it with the side of your car.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
gmbfly98

With the 05-07 Mustang having a solid rear axle, the rear tires don't have an equal amount of traction over uneven surfaces, or during heavy braking while turning. In the former case, this means the tire with the least traction will lock up first; in the latter, the inside tire will lock up first. In these cases, it would be nice to NOT have ABS, so I can manually modulate the brakes myself. All things being equal, ABS generally _is_ better than not having ABS, but it does also depend on the driver, and how the ABS system is calibrated.

Any racing / high-performance driving school worth their salt will teach you the differences between threshold braking (braking at the traction limits of the tires / surface) WITH ABS and WITHOUT ABS. There actually are certain situations where NOT having ABS is beneficial, with proper driver training. Also, threshold braking in sand/gravel, having ABS off and locking up the brakes will actually slow the car down quicker (the tire acts as a sort of plow, building up sand/gravel in front of it and effectively adding to the surface area of the tire to provide more friction).

The short answer is, there are legitimate cases where you might want to turn ABS off, but for the most part, you want it on.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:18 PM
ForeverFord
2nd Gear Member

gmbfly98, Good reply and I can not beleive this post popped up again. Where this post went was way further then Icared for it to go but just to update this I tried pulling one of the two fuses for the ABS and just like I knew the lights came on on the dash and the fuse contols the T/C too so that light came on and both systems no longer worked correctly nor did they stop working they just no longer worked correctly. I did'nt even care that much to pull the other fuse because it was not that big of a deal to begin will. I just wanted an answer to a simple question and you always get people that want to argue or say something to make themselfs sound like they are all that, thats why we compete to prove things and we can't do that when we live a long way away from each other. I do have one more thing I found about ABS though that I don't like and that is, floor it from a dead stop and as soon as it launch's let off the gas and hit the brakes. Its NO BIG DEAL but we used to do thats sort of thing in the 60's kind of just like when your side by side with a friend coaxing him on to race, you know just goffing off. You better make sure you have more distance to stop then the old mustangs.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

If you want to slide, use the parking brake to lock the rear wheels. Disabling the ABS is definitely not kool.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ABS, No-ABS, neither can help these people...... Loss of friction or a decrease in friction means you're done (hydroplaining)... whip it into a different angle of approach or whatever if you're sliding, you'll keep sliding in the same direction once you lose traction and the only thing that will stop you is another car or cars, or a wall/curb....

http://www.funlol.com/funpages/sliding-in-the-snow.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0AO3...ted&search=