Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TIRE SMOKE

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:59 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default TIRE SMOKE

i've got the stock Pirelli's on my stang. whenever i really roast the tires, i never get any tire smoke. well, maybe a little, but none that i can really see from inside the car when just peeling out, and definetly barely any visible treads.

is this just how the stock tires are, due to a hard compound and such? cause its not very manly when i just fry the tires. i have to sit there and burn em to get smoke and lines.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:21 PM
FirePower
1st Gear Member

Default RE: TIRE SMOKE

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

i've got the stock Pirelli's on my stang. whenever i really roast the tires, i never get any tire smoke. well, maybe a little, but none that i can really see from inside the car when just peeling out, and definetly barely any visible treads.

is this just how the stock tires are, due to a hard compound and such? cause its not very manly when i just fry the tires. i have to sit there and burn em to get smoke and lines.
On the same topic, what do you guys do to burn out? My new GT fels like it has a lot of power but a couple of times I tried a burn out just for kicks, I got nothing, just a rocket-launch. I suppose that would be great if I was dragging but I wanted to impress the kids with a little tire squeal. In the V6 I could peel around a right turn with ease - no lsd,but in the GT, not even a little wheel hop! I did chirp second. Is this because the power/weight is distributed to two wheels with the LSD, making it harder to break 'em?What kind of RPM's are you running before dropping the clutch?

I have the manual and stock ~3.14(?)gear ratio, in case that matters? All 05 and on GTshave the LSD installed from the factory, right?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Zellanor
2nd Gear Member

I normal dump my clutch at around 4500. first, you have to turn off the TCS, rev around 4500 and dump the clutch, then apply the brakes just slightly to get a decent burnout, and if you want to sit and smoke the tires, dump the clutch and hit and hold the brakes. "BUT DON'T DO IT TO LONG OR YOU WILL GLAZE YOUR REAR BRAKES, not the best thing to do.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I dont know why; but ive done better burn outs with my 222hp fwd car. I remeber talking this over w/ my friend and we think it has something to do w/ the susp set up and the live axle we have. Like you said the car rockets off the line when you get it right. If i rev it up to 4500; dump the clutch and let it bounce off the rev limter for a few sec i can get a little bit of smoke and some marks but nothing great.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

For 07 you could either get a 3.31 or 3.55 gear ratio. Without a tune it was def harder to do a burnout. Like you said I would just launch like hell. Try revving to 4000 rpms and drop it. Another option to better control your rpms is doingit in second, rev to 4, dump the clutch, apply light brake and pump the gas pedal fluctuating the rpms so you dont redline.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

All I have to do now is floor it and my tires smoke and stink as the car is moving forward. No power braking needed lol
Old 01-29-2007, 12:28 AM
FirePower
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wally39

All I have to do now is floor it and my tires smoke and stink as the car is moving forward. No power braking needed lol
Must be the stripes.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Yeah, the stripes. Not the S/C
Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

What's the best way to "rev/showoff" with a GT auto? Put it in park/neutral or what?

I'm a noob, yes.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:17 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Get linelocks. That way youwill not heating up your rear brakes.

Quick Reply: TIRE SMOKE