Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Problem-Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:24 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Problem-Please help

Ill take the car to check the entire exhaust system if something is loosen.

or for a computer diagnostic

or change the fuel and oil filter (if u cought some dirt that sucks)

worn out spark plugs?

[&:]
Old 02-23-2007, 07:20 PM
mitssn
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the ideas guys... I'm gonna check a few of those things. The power loss is scaring me--I hope whatever is wrong isn't gettting worse by driving it. My compression tester doesn't have the right size adapter for my car (go figure).

It feels like the car is starving for air almost... It sounds and feels like it is not pushing as much exhaust as it used to---if that makes sense. Thanks.

Steve
Old 02-25-2007, 12:21 PM
mitssn
1st Gear Member

bump please
Old 02-25-2007, 03:55 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

You symptom is very similar to plugged exhaust, but with an off road pipe that can't be the case. Is your CEL on? I don't know how the tunes affect the sensitivity of emissions related codes. Odds are it does and the factory tune may allow it to set a DTC.
Perhaps he burnt up some plugs..... but it would run rough, hesitate and miss if before you noticed a sound or power difference. The CMCV controller has a feedback circuit so it will set a code if the motor doesn't cycle properly, however - perhaps the linkage has come off the controller arms. They are clipped on there pretty well but a strange problem likely has a strange source. Are you sure that you are not just worried and a little case of "car hypochondria"?
Maybe you are loosing fuel pressure/volume but again - where are thelean codes, fuel pressure sensor codes, HEGO codes, etc. ?
Disconnect your battery and your MAF sensor for at least 15 min. Reconnect your battery but NOT the MAF sensor. Start the engine and then go drive it with the MAF unplugged. If you feel/hear a distinct difference, your airfow calculation is inaccurate and you should check the filter, tubes, sensor, sensor wiring - EVERYTHING that is involved in air intake thoroughly. Bottom line is that if your problem is gone without the MAF - something is making that input inaccurate.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:03 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

gaskets...
Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 AM
mitssn
1st Gear Member

Thank you shaners! i am going to try that tonight.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 AM
mitssn
1st Gear Member

This is driving me nuts. It gradually got better over the course of the day, almost to the point where it was back to normal. But then I was accelerating in third and i felt the engine bog slowly and the problem is back! Quiet *** exhaust and less power!

Also, even though I have no cats, the exhaust smells VERY strong of unburnt gasoline.... Please anyone else?!?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shaman

Sounds lke a compression prob. pull one plug at a time check the compression of each cylinder. Maybe a few burnt valves, busted rings, like that...
+1 -> Especially if the the rpms stayednear or at redline for extended periods during the burn outs.

Also, checkthe exhaust pulseon both pipes. If it feels weaker on one side, then it may be either compression related, or something may have let go in the muffler.