Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Motor Mounts - How Noticeable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:51 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Motor Mounts - How Noticeable?

It sounds like quitea few people recommend stiffer motor mounts when installing long tube headers. My car already vibrates enough with the Borla exhaust, so I am a little worried about the added noise and vibration from new motor mounts. Is it really that noticeable? Any other effects?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Motor Mounts - How Noticeable?

I would check with other people that own the same headers as you are looking at. I have also heard the same story about how longtubes "need" a set of motor mounts, but it isn't always true. My Dynatech longtubes cleared just fine with the OEM mounts.

Now then, I do like the aftermarket mounts (and I am running a pair), but they may not be strictly needed.

I did not notice a major increase in vibration. You can feel the motor a bit more, but the difference is not huge. You will feel that the drivetrain is more solid. If you have a manual trans the shifting will be much easier and more positive. The motor mounts also save a few lbs of front-end weight, which is always good.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 AM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

I guess "feeling" the motor more isn't such a bad thing. Would you almost say it makes the car feel more powerful?

I am interested in getting the JBA L/T headers with a catted H (mainly because they are the only company that offers an H-pipe for their headers). I have heard that these can have some clearance issues, and that motor mounts are recommended (although I have heard people installing them with no problems). I am thinking it may be better to be on the safe side and put them on.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:04 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree do it all at once and then you wont have to do that mod later on!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:18 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I noticed a significant vibration on start up and shut down. While cruising around,I don't really notice anything different.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:42 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

My question is which set to buy. JDM has a set. Steeda has a set. And there is another set that sells frequently on Ebay (not sure of name). Is one aftermarket brand really any better than the other?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I would check with other people that own the same headers as you are looking at. I have also heard the same story about how longtubes "need" a set of motor mounts, but it isn't always true. My Dynatech longtubes cleared just fine with the OEM mounts.

Now then, I do like the aftermarket mounts (and I am running a pair), but they may not be strictly needed.

I did not notice a major increase in vibration. You can feel the motor a bit more, but the difference is not huge. You will feel that the drivetrain is more solid. If you have a manual trans the shifting will be much easier and more positive. The motor mounts also save a few lbs of front-end weight, which is always good.
+1
Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

There's bascially two brands. The Steedas and the Prothane "Bullet" mounts. (As in bullet for a gun, not "Bullitt") They look slightly different but they perform exactly the same. I suggest the Prothane type becasue they are about half the price of the Steedas. (Not suprising...Steeda stuff is never cheap).
Old 03-03-2007, 01:20 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I had the Prothane bullet motor mounts put on at the same time as my headers just to firm up the engine. I hated theside to side torque reaction present with the standard mounts. The headers would have fit fine without the change in mounts but I figured it made sense to change them out with the header install since the engine mounts had to be loosened anyway. I'll never be sorry I got rid of the oem hydra mounts. They're short money and I doubt if I'llEVERhave to worry about a broken or worn motor mount especially when Igo superchargedsomeday.