Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Drone is good.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Drone is good.

When I purchased my car I searched low and high for the right exhaust, and with so many available at the time (and even more so now) It was hard to decide.

Like everyone else you look towards Flowmaster for your classic Mustang sound, but with their new series designed specifically for this car, I think a few people were left unsatisfied; and those satisfied only had their mufflers break apart on them anyway.

Names like Corsa, FFRP, Bassani, SLP, and so forth seemed to be the route to go. Though with the majority of them trying to produce less "drone" makes your car sound like a hot-roddin' G35.

Finally I decided on an O/R H-pipe and SLP Loudmouths. The system was loud, got everyone's attention in a 5 mile radius. Had an incredible sound at cruising speed. Though I'm convinced removing of the cats really tampered with the harmonics of the exhaust tones. It was uneven and just out of control. Not the sound I personally was looking for. Magnaflow Race Mufflers (or Resonators) were the route I went next. Installed after the H-pipe the sound deepened, but got about 30% quieter. Exhaust tones evened out a little, but finally putting the stock H-pipe back on was the answer. Resonators + SLP Loudmouths on an otherwise stock system was too quiet for me.

Now onto the topic at hand. Whenever I thought of muscle cars, and mustang specifically. I always thought of them to be loud, deep, and just mean. Unfortunately, in my opinion. This is the sound of drone. A constant, deep sound emitting all throughout the powerband and only increasing as the RPMs increase. The answer, in my opinion, is the 40 series flowmasters. When a friend bought her Mustang and was asking me what is a good exhaust (she too was looking towards flowmaster) I told her to get the original series, and not the one designed for this car. After driving in and driving her car, the sound is there. Not quite as loud as other systems, but I think with a set of LT Headers + High flow cats that it would be perfect.

Now all I have to do is get mine installed (There is no kit designed for these cars with this type of muffler, so custom fabrication by an exhaust shop is needed) Just thought I'd throw this in there.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: Drone is good.

dude... if it works for you that's great... BUT there is no way the Corsa makes my stang sound anything less than a V8 hot rod...

deep rumble @ idle... at 1/2 thottle plus vicous mean!!!! and nice and quite to cruise with...

good luck
Old 04-22-2007, 04:12 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

dude... if it works for you that's great... BUT there is no way the Corsa makes my stang sound anything less than a V8 hot rod...

deep rumble @ idle... at 1/2 thottle plus vicous mean!!!! and nice and quite to cruise with...

good luck
Agreed and the same thing appplies to the Borla and FRRP products. Especially the Borla Stingers and they have drone Borla did not try to get rid of it with them I can assure you.

Richard
Old 04-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

In my recent research into mufflers I learned one important fact. What sounds good to one person might suck with another. We all have are different tastes in sound. Some like loud, others like tone, Some want to **** off everyone including cops and others want a nice sounding car that you aren't heard coming a mile away. If you like drone that's fine but 85% of the rest of us don't. That noise that shakes thedash and every plate in each house coming up the hill. I can't stand drone myself. Nice thing about Mustangs, there are so many exhaust brands and combinations that hardly any 2 sound the same.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

In my recent research into mufflers I learned one important fact. What sounds good to one person might suck with another. We all have are different tastes in sound. Some like loud, others like tone, Some want to **** off everyone including cops and others want a nice sounding car that you aren't heard coming a mile away. If you like drone that's fine but 85% of the rest of us don't. That noise that shakes thedash and every plate in each house coming up the hill. I can't stand drone myself. Nice thing about Mustangs, there are so many exhaust brands and combinations that hardly any 2 sound the same.
+1 there is no such thing as a universal definition of what a muscle car should sound like. I enjoy the nicesound of a V8 but as many other things in life, too much is not always better. I even get pissed at those guys who crank up their mega watt sound systems when stuck in traffic as if they asked the rest of the drivers aroundif they want to listen to their mostly stupid music
Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Yep and Yep

Richard