Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Will oil change not done by dealer void warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Will oil change not done by dealer void warranty

Do your own oil changes or take it wherever you want as long as you maintain your records. Ford can't dispute it or they'd be sued by every shop that performs oil changes out there.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:28 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Just to stop this up, there was a lawsuit back in the early 90's (someone with a better memory please chime in and save me here.) But it stopped the dealer from being able to void your warranty for not getting your oil changed with them or by one of their approved shops. It also requires that dealers must PROVE that whatever they're voiding your warranty for actually caused the fault. So there is no way they can tell you they will void your warranty unless they prove that it was caused by "faulty" oil.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Flatline1980
2nd Gear Member

I go to Wally World and buy Motorcraft Oil, Ford product.. Go to the dealership and get my oil filters, Motorcraft.. Its says right on the oil filter that it won't voild the Ford dealership warranty.. Thats my suggestion..
Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samus720

Just to stop this up, there was a lawsuit back in the early 90's (someone with a better memory please chime in and save me here.) But it stopped the dealer from being able to void your warranty for not getting your oil changed with them or by one of their approved shops. It also requires that dealers must PROVE that whatever they're voiding your warranty for actually caused the fault. So there is no way they can tell you they will void your warranty unless they prove that it was caused by "faulty" oil.

This thread really got turned around. It isn't about the brand of oil. It is about the frequency of oil changes and if you can do it yourself without voiding the warranty.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:08 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

Ford will not void your warranty for the type of oil you use.This is how warranty works for ford.Say if you have an engine failure,The tech will remove the engine from the car,take off the oil pan,valve covers etc.Thenthey take pics with the main caps off,rod caps off etc.You then fax the photos to ford and wait a month or so while your bay has an engineless car taking up room until they decide what caused the failure.They dont take oil samples or nothing like that.But.Ive seen many cam phaser failures that were not covered by ford because of one thing:Aftermarket oil filters.If something fails internally in you engine and it does not have a motorcraft filter on it,theywill not cover it.(unless the dealer needs some work)We just got a letter at work stating all this.This goes for any ford engine.Thsi just happend to me on a police car.Brand new crown vic,13,000 miles.Came in and the R.O says:customer states engine has a knock.Well guess what,fram filter(the filter had nothing to do with the failure,I think they never changed the oil since it was bought,the filter and oil looked very fresh)Ford woudnt do anything about it.They had to end up for an engine and all the labor.I try not to wear my uniform on my drive home in fear of being pulled over by these guys.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:09 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I change my own oil with oem products. There is no way I'd have 6 oil changes with 4300 miles on the car. That's just stupid.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: samus720

This thread really got turned around. It isn't about the brand of oil. It is about the frequency of oil changes and if you can do it yourself without voiding the warranty.
That's what I was referring to. They have to prove that whatever you did (frequency, oil type, brand, etc.) caused the problem
Old 03-11-2008, 12:34 AM
cadillo

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

I see your point on the tires and other repairs, but oil change only comes into play for a mechanical breakdown claim, not theft. How did you prove youhad that low of miles?
Pretty simple, actually. Receipts are receipts. Either you have them or you don't. If it's a warranty question and they ask for receipts, you either have them or you don't. Not that they are required to establish oil changes, as explained in my owner's manual. If it's a theft, you either have them or you don't. If theyquestion you about the condition of the stolen vehicle, Allstate at least, asked me how well the vehicle had been maintained as a means of judging its value. The maintenance receipts I provided to the adjuster helped in changing his position regarding the condition of my vehicle with regard to how it had been maintained. Regarding the milage, he seemed to take my word for it, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he might have been able to obtain some record of the recorded milage at the time of some Ford provided service, or perhaps annual state inspections. He never argued the point.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Doesn't the mileage get printed out on the receipts?

Norm
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
bigmike226

When I bought my car the dealer had a program drive for life. Free oil changes and drive train warranty as long as I stayed on schedule and hadwork done there. If I have oil changed some where else it voids that part .