Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic GT Problem? or is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:25 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic GT Problem? or is it?

hahaha, my car doesnt do that (maybe cause it shouldnt) and im runnin about 10 k on mine as well and its an auto. i do notice that when i floor it sometimes that it will leave in second only cause the car will shift into second thinking that i am not going to floor it, but when i do it just doesnt down shift...
Old 04-26-2007, 10:37 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The reason I ask is because I drove a buddies auto back when I just got mine (2 yrs ago) and it seemed to start in 2nd and not 1st. 1st in my stick is short, I shift out of it almost immediately. Now in his it seem like the initual shift took alot longer, more like in between 2nd and 3rd on my stick. That is why I asked my intelligent question. Like i stated it was quite awhile ago though.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Audioi
2nd Gear Member

Now I understand what you mean. Sometimes I will start the Corvette in 2nd to save all of the shifting. Just seems weird to have a automatic transmission that starts in 2nd on its own. I have a couple of cars with AutoSticks and you can manually select 2nd to start out. Works great in slippery going but otherwise none of them start in any gear other than 1st.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Skunkworks
1st Gear Member

Ive Never had my Auto Start in 2nd gear from a stop while in D. Even if I run out first gear in half a second, its always there. Almost Stopping from a roll, or not stopping and then getting on it is a different story though.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Problems like these are another reason I'm glad I drive a manual.[sm=gears.gif]
Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1+ but get a CAI/tune and change all the shift points and see how she acts and what happens. JMO but I have never heard of an auto that starts in second gear from a stop!. Does it just feel that way or is it really in second but looks to be in drive....how do you really know?
ORIGINAL: Black GT

Problems like these are another reason I'm glad I drive a manual.[sm=gears.gif]
Old 04-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

The upshifts can be so smooth you'll have difficulty knowing what gear it's in. That's while driving an auto granny style. I don't remember if mine downshifts into first when coming to a stop, or if I'll be able to feel that.
Do you shift it a lot by hand? When driving aggressively I might do that because I can then get my revs up higher and use engine braking for sharp turns. Sometimes I can't move my shifter into drive from a startup, but letting off the brake for a second usually does the trick.
There could be a problem with the computer that "learns" your shifting style. Check with another dealer the next time you need service. There really shouldn't be a charge if you're under warranty.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:36 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

It very well could have something to do with the computer manipulating the shift points. I'd try unhooking the battery for a while, then reconnecting it. That will erase everything the adaptive transmission has learned. You'll notice an immediate change in the way the vehicle shifts.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:43 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

It very well could have something to do with the computer manipulating the shift points. I'd try unhooking the battery for a while, then reconnecting it. That will erase everything the adaptive transmission has learned. You'll notice an immediate change in the way the vehicle shifts.
+1 - good idea.

0 mph = 1st gear. if it aint, something is wrong.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:08 PM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

Never had that problem with my auto, either...
Chris

Quick Reply: Automatic GT Problem? or is it?