Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

trading stick for auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Default RE: trading stick for auto

All personal choice. If you've driven manuals all your life and you're sick of the traffic, you'll love your auto. I've driven auto's my whole life and always wanted a manual. Needless to say, it doesn't disappoint and I love my manual.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Like everyone has said...really a personal preference. I've had manuals for quite some time but when going to the new stang I went with the auto due to traffic(Metro DC/Balt) and that the car that I found had every option I wanted except for tranny. I really enjoy it and yes there I times I miss the manual. I would however, recommend a good tune as it really wakes up the car from a response and shift perspective. I can chirp the rears in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts now which is pretty cool for an auto. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I did the same thing, I have been driving manual trans. cars since I turned 16 and I got tired of dealing with it in traffic. I do miss it from time to time but all I have to do is think back to the many times I hated driving just because of the stop and go traffic I would get stuck in. I think the car is still a blast to drive with the automatic tranny.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ALLCHEST

Did you go and test drive an auto to see how it felt and convenience vs. a stick? I dislike autos greatly. I feel you can't have a true performance machine with an auto tranny but that is just MO

No, I didn't. The problem was, there was 1 too many pedals on the floor. I drove the auto and it filled the niche nicely.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:57 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

You choice man. I like the manual because you can juice the throttle whenever you like. Do this in an auto and you better have your foor on the break. Unless you're in neutral.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:12 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ALLCHEST

Did you go and test drive an auto to see how it felt and convenience vs. a stick? I dislike autos greatly. I feel you can't have a true performance machine with an auto tranny but that is just MO
What??????

Take a ride in my car and I bet you'll change your mind. My 4 speed AOD is the ****. So I don't push a clutch, big deal, I still manual shift and I'll bet my ride is more performance than you can handle...lol

PS - I know you're talking about the stock auto so Im just kidding around... my point is that there are some awesome auto set-ups out there.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I'm with you fordfanboy

I ordered (shipped today) a fully manual auto with transbrake and overdrive. No clutch...no missing gears and that little red button on top.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:40 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Steve,

Sorry to go OT but I was reading a thread of yours yesterday were you made reference to your new trans. Are you planning on keeping it on a trailer? I'm asking cause the 3 speed or C4 is a pain on the street without an OD and you mentioned an OD but how is it configured? I've never heard of a C4 with an OD? Or are you planning on gearing the car down?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:06 PM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

I say to whatever you gotta do. I know the feeling of everyday stop and go driving, but I still love shifting those gears in the 05 whenever I'm just cruising. After having my auto 01 GT for 2 years and having my 5spd manual for 2 weeks, I can say I hate driving the 01 now. I always thought it was fun, but that changed when I drive a manual v8 Mustang. Performance wise, the 5spd manual and 5spd auto in the new GT's arent that different, so whatever you wanna do, do it, dont worry about what we say, its up to you.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:27 PM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

I recommend you not trade
i honestly thing its worth every second and would go crazy if i didnt have a manual shifter to pound threw the gears.

Quick Reply: trading stick for auto