Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Where do you put ur NOS pressure gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:58 AM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

Default Where do you put ur NOS pressure gauges?

I'm saving up $$$ and thinking about spending it on a Zex kit and a bunch of accessories, and i'm trying to decide the best place to put a nitrous pressure gauge. The places i have thought of so far are in the poll options. However i've got a couple questions:

-I have heard of people putting pressure gauges under the hoods of their cars in a way so that it is viewable from the driver's seat. Where exactly is this location? Anyone have pics?
-I have also heard rumors that most track rules don't allow you to put a nitrous pressure gauge inside the cabin of ur car (limiting you to the hood gauge) unless you have an isolator gauge because of the effects of n2o if the line running to the pressure gauge happened to break, filling the cabin with n2o and making you get stoned. However i hear that its very unlikely that this line will ever break and that some tracks don't really enforce this rule. What experiences have you guys had?
-Are air/fuel ratio and fule pump pressure gauges necessary? I understand that they would be used to make sure you don't run lean, but i believe the Zex kit comes with that thing that cuts the nitrous if the fuel pressure drops too low (and if it didnt come with that thing i'd buy it separately), and this should be sufficient to make sure i don't run lean and blow up. So in this case, A/F ratio and fp pressure gauges seem like a waste of money (i hear they are expensive), even though they would be pretty cool.
-Is it ever necessary to be watching ur NOS pressure gauge in the middle of a run? Or do you only really need to check it before/after each run? If this is the case i might just find a way to stick a pressure gauge in my center console so it can be concealed.

Thanks for any input guys
Old 05-04-2007, 10:20 PM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Where do you put ur NOS pressure gauges?

...anyone?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:42 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JibStyle

-I have also heard rumors that most track rules don't allow you to put a nitrous pressure gauge inside the cabin of ur car (limiting you to the hood gauge) unless you have an isolator gauge because of the effects of n2o if the line running to the pressure gauge happened to break, filling the cabin with n2o and making you get stoned. However i hear that its very unlikely that this line will ever break and that some tracks don't really enforce this rule. What experiences have you guys had?
-Are air/fuel ratio and fule pump pressure gauges necessary? I understand that they would be used to make sure you don't run lean, but i believe the Zex kit comes with that thing that cuts the nitrous if the fuel pressure drops too low (and if it didnt come with that thing i'd buy it separately), and this should be sufficient to make sure i don't run lean and blow up. So in this case, A/F ratio and fp pressure gauges seem like a waste of money (i hear they are expensive), even though they would be pretty cool.
-Is it ever necessary to be watching ur NOS pressure gauge in the middle of a run? Or do you only really need to check it before/after each run? If this is the case i might just find a way to stick a pressure gauge in my center console so it can be concealed.

Thanks for any input guys
The first one I have listed here is pure BS. Nitrous that you will be running in your car has an addative put to it. If ya huff it, you may get stoned but you won't enjoy it as the sulfer added makes you vomit uncontrollably and the headache is the stuff of legend. Had a line break on me once, and it is NOT a fun experience.

Don't waste your time on a A/F guage unless your running a wideband. Stock O2 sensors are only good at telling the computer if it is Rich, Lean or Lambda. Fuel pressure is a nice one to have, but if your looking to use it as a safety measure, your outta luck. If your running nitrous and your fuel pressure cuts out on ya, I garentee you will not be able to react fast enough to make a difference. If you wanna safety net for fuel pressure, get one of the switches that if the Fuel pressure drops, it kills the nitrous.

Nitrous pressure should only be checked before a run. No reason at all to look at it once you have made sure you have juice and it is in the proper pressure range.

IMO, Nitrous shouldn't be run without these things:
Bottle Heater (for even pressure in the bottle)
Fuel Pressure Kill Switch (Fuel pump dies, kills the nitrous so you don't kill the motor)
RPM window switch (So your not spraying at like 1500 rpms accidentally)
WOT Switch (So your not sprayin while your at half throttle.. Zex has this as part of its selenoid box)
Nitrous guage (on the bottle.. so your not tempted to watch it instead of the wall thats coming at ya while racing)

Also, make sure you take the time to wire and pipe the thing in properly. I've seen bottles break loose and snap a valve off. It's amazing what 1000 psi of compressed nitrous can propell an aluminum bottle through..
Old 05-05-2007, 02:37 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

GT Bob pretty much covered everything that needs to be said....except 1 thing.

Your poll repeatedly uses the term "NOS", then in your post you say you are getting a Zex kit, and you mention nitrous pressure, then you say NOS again. So which are you getting, a NOS kit or a Zex kit? Or are you one of those poor unfortunate souls that watch The Fast and the Fuirous so many times that you now think NOS means nitrous instead of being an acronym for the company "Nitrous Oxide Systems"...
Old 05-06-2007, 11:03 PM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

I don't know that i'm getting anything, but I'm looking at the Zex kit. Sorry if i offended you by saying NOS, i did mean to use it as an acronym for nitrous oxide system, but I forgot that that was the name of a company. I haven't seen the first two Fast and the Furious movies, but I saw Tokyo Drift a few months ago back when I didn't know **** about cars, and I thought cars seemed pretty cool, so I did a lot of researching and reading, got (most) of my facts straight, and that's how I ended up owning a mustang and becoming a member of these forums. hawgman, I guess I don't know everything, so that's why I posted this thread.