Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Buyer Beware?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:22 PM
wvumiss

Default Buyer Beware?

Hey everyone-

I'm currently shopping for a used Mustang 2005+ and have found this forum really helpful. I have a question I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with...

I found a 2005 Mustang GT I really like at the right price and proceeded with the negotiating circus that is car buying. However the salesman was pretty evasive about getting me the vehicle history report, and when I put the muscle on him, I knew why: the car was reported as a manufacturer buyback under the lemon law. Specifically, there apparently was a defect with the engagement shift lever/link.

The papers say this: It was repurchased as "an effort to promote customer goodwill prior to the matter being submitted to BBB AUTO LINE or being deemed eligible for the Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board." It says the shifter cable was readjusted, also that the transmission assembly was replaced after shifting problems were reported. There are also a couple of cosmetic repair notes (bumper and scuff plate fitting poorly, flawed material replaced).

My questions: Is this a known problem for this model year, or is this a lemon? More importantly, in the opinion of you Mustang experts and enthusiasts, is this a deal-breaker? What's the best way to proceed?

Any additional info greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Amber
Old 05-09-2007, 12:40 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Buyer Beware?

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a lemon. Sounds like they were having some shifter issues that may or may not have been caused by the previous owner and some parking lot dings that they took care of. Usually, a lemon car has a history of so many days in the shop and out of service. This varies by state. Here in Colorado, I think it is 30 days in a years time or so.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like it was either a Monday or Friday car... IF i were to buy that car, I would make sure i get a full comprehensive warranty from the dealer. I have a friend whose father owns a few dealerships and the family has owned 2 vehicles that were turned in under lemon law. It basically had to do with the vehicle requiring multiple repairs in a short period of time. They were warranty issues, just all happened to be on the same car. I would advise test driving a brand new one in addition to the used one, to see if you notice any weird vibrations or feelings. If it shifts rough, or you have problems with it going into gear, tell the salesman to make some Lemonade.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:03 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

If it were me I would let it go. When I shop for a used vehicle, especially a newer one,I want one with a clean history. There are plenty of other vehicles out there and if you are patient you will be rewarded.......Or you could just roll the dice.