Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gear Whine Reduced After SpyderShaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:34 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default Gear Whine Reduced After SpyderShaft

Those of you who have been with us for a while know there have been alot of threads on "gear noise". I've had this high pitched bearing type whirring/whistle that starts at 50 mph and goes up in pitch from there. It continues at any speed after 50mph and only occurs on the gas, itdisappears immediately when you take your foot off the gas.

Well, today I had my Spyder Driveshaft installed, and I also had them top off the diff case with another ounce or two of Ford Friction Modifier. I am currently running one bottle of friction modifier and Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil. So this ounce or two was on top of that.

Well, to my suprise the noise is still present but it now only occurs between 65 and 78 mph and is a little quieter.

I can only asume that 1) it's the additional friction modifier (doubt) or 2) It's the new pinion angle.
I don't have adjustable control arms, and it's possible the stock pinion angle was causing the noise. Now I did not measure pinion angle before or after the install but I understand it's about 2-3 degrees stock. The new shaft must have decreased that angle. I'll have to get under there next week to measure and see was it is now.

I'm thinking of getting an adjustable UCA and perhaps "playing" with the angle to see of it makes a difference.

So just FYI, if any of you are having this problem and keep getting your rear end ripped apart time and time again by different shops to no avail, changing your pinion angle slightly mayalleviate some of the noise.

BTW, the Spydershaft went in no problem and there's no vibration or noise to speak of. Good product and priced right.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:39 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Gear Whine Reduced After SpyderShaft

Well, I honestly think the pinion angle had more to do with your noise reduction than the actual shaft, but none-the-less, I am happy to say Ron is a stand-up guy and his ranger conversion shaft is the best DS bang for the buck available IMO. Works just as well if not better than all of them out there at a much lower price and Ron is a guy you could count on if there were any problems.

But there are dozens of the 'Spydershaft' out there now and I have not heard of a single issue. Hands down the best performing shaft of them all for autos.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 PM
buzzystang

Actually, I don't hang out here much...but have just stumbled on this thread. Point me to some of the other threads on this issue so I can educate myself.

I have the exact same problem you describe and it has driven me crazy for the last year and a half, the only complaint I have about the car. I had the rear end TSB performed three different times by two different dealerships, only to end up where I started - a low whir/bearing noise in the drivetrain at 50-75mph, in 5th, from about 1400 to 2100 RPM. It starts low in pitch then raises until you can't hear it anymore. The last dealer even told me it was drone from my Flowmasters, only I can definitely hear it coming from the front, at the tranny and not at the rear.

Since I've ruled out the ring and pinion.,I was thinking of replacing the driveshaft with a one-piece first and then if that didn't work going to the tranny. I can forget about warranty though. Too many mods...[&:]
Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

You may want to adjust your pinion angle first with adjustable LCA's or a UCA. If that doesn't work than you can try a driveshaft. One thing i didn't consider was the different harmonics between a steel and aluminum unit and a one piece vs 2 piece. They may just be transmitting noise at different points. Check this thread for pinion angle adjustment. https://mustangforums.com/m_2570375/tm.htm
Old 05-16-2007, 10:06 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

for some reason I hadn't heard of the Spydersahft until yesterday. It looks like I wont be going with Denny's afterall

I just had my rearend gone through at the dealer. They replaced my ring and pinion, clutch pack, and associated bearings under TSB whatever lol. My pinion bearing was howling nasty. Take yours in and let the dealer foot the bill if you haven't pulled the cover off for any reason.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:44 AM
firestang70
2nd Gear Member

I have the spyder shaft, great deal. I do not notice much reduction in gear whine but, the mod was great. He was very helpful in the process.