Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

granatelli turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:53 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: granatelli turbo kit

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

More information is starting to come in regarding Twin Turbo set-ups and I beleive that they are going to end up being the best turbo set-up for the street.

I always thought that way which is why I went with a twin kit. On a race car the single works great but if you plan on street driving the car a twin will just work better.

Earl
Old 05-13-2007, 05:17 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

+1, But I'll keep looking for a decent shop and tuner. If not....well 2.6 KB or JDM stage2 Saleen. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:42 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Like I said, I don't feel like getting into a debate about it at the moment but maybe I'll start a thread when I have time to get all the info together but it's NOT JUST THE TUNING.

That's the scary part. There are a lot of other issues and not with turbos in general, but in relation to how turbos work specfically on THESE motors. The way they come on, how they hit, etc. etc.

These modular motors do not work like an inline 6 or like anything else really. And there are specific bad issues encountered with autos.

I will say that if people get turbos with plans on turning them up - you are in for a rude awakening. The manufacterers out there spend a lot of time and money to perfect their kits in the psi range they sell them in which is the 9-12 range. Most all the kits work GREAT in those ranges. The trouble is hardly nobody ever buys a FI kit and expects to say at 9-12 psi forever. If you are one of those guys who will never want more thanwhat the kit comes with, then a turbo is a good choice.

But if you are planning on being fast and turning it up, you are going to find that 14+ psi and a turbo on this motor = by-by street car. It will have to be a track only car...period. And even then - it's going to take a lot of other mods to get it work well.

More information is starting to come in regarding Twin Turbo set-ups and I beleive that they are going to end up being the best turbo set-up for the street.

I dont disagree with you totally. But I think we are close to figureing out how to get above 14psi and still have a street car. Bottom line is I wont know until we put our motor in and turn up the boost and tune her, at that point I think we will be ok. I know you have first hand knowledge about the turbo set up with these motors and you had issues above 14 psi. Fact is I think if we can get it to 14 psi and its driveablity is still there we may stay there. the good thing is were putting a one of kind stroker in my car and we feel it will work very well with the tubro set up and make it where we can go above 14psi (how high I am not sure) the bad thing its going to cost me big time. I really do belive that once this car is done, tuner and shop owners maybe able to get a better grasp of these single turbo set ups. Again I think it may help that we are using a smaller turbo than others (62mm or upgrade to the 67mm) instead of the 76mm.
End of the day my goal is a 10 sec street car. We maybe able to do that at 14psi and we wont have to worry.

As for my top choice for a S/C, It would be KB and then the Saleen.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:02 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

You should be able to make high 10's on a 67mm and keep it as a street car. But don't expect to get much more than that even as a track car on a 67mm. You are maxed out at about 14 psi on the 67. Sure, you can run 20 psi, but you'll only get about 20 more HP from 14 to 20. The unit will be way over it's efficeincy level after 14 psi.

I said I didn't want to get into right now but I'll go ahead and tell you this now...

You have to understand that a turbo hits HARD. More like N20 than any other power adder. Look at a turbo dyno sheet and it's just BAM - instant full power when it kicks. When you turn these things up especially on a big enough unit to run big numbers (76mm+) the jolt they hit the motor with when the come on is substantial and drives computer functions crazy. 99% of all the kits out there utilize a draw through (or 'suck through' some call it) system. They do this because it is cheaper cause the suck through doesn't require an extender. The difference between a draw through and blow through is a suck through places the MAF before the turbo so the MAF sends what it 'THINKS' is the correct adjustments to the computer to calculate for the boost.

The obvious problem is these things hit so hard that those calculations are not always correct and things go wrong in the CPU. A Blow through is acheived by placing the MAF AFTER the turbo so the readings are accurate and even though this system is better, it has it's draw-backs too bacuase now the computer is given exact measurements but the cpu has a hard time making the adjustments quick enough before the jolt happens.

It is a lot more detailed and complicated than this but I'm trying to explain it in an easier way to understand. The bigger the turbo - the harder it hits - and the more these issues come into play. This is why the smaller twin set-ups are better for street application. It is definitely easier to set-up and tune the smaller the turbo but then you are limited to power by how small the turbo is. Again, why smaller twins are a lot easier to work with.

For me to make the 76mm streetable at 14 psi, I had to cheat. I swapped the masive D trim exhaust housing to a smaller Q trim exhaust housing which allowed the turbo to spool as a 67mm but keep the power of the 76mm. On the 67mm, I was pretty much maxed out at 14 psi but I was able to make almost 600 rwhp. (on an AOD Trans with no lock-up) Again, I think it is possible to get a single turbo streetable and in the high 10's. But that's about the limit. I'm just saying don't expect to get deep in the 10's. And it's going to take some other mods as well besides the turbo.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:28 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Hey dont get me wrong, didnt want to stir you up. Because out of everyone here when it comes to F/I, your the guy who has experience in every kind. Everything you stated above is right on and I agree. Turbo and the auto you have was not the best combo, what I may run into is the fact that I am thinking of going auto since my goal of 550-600rwhp maybe difficult with the current 5 speed (in fact regardless a new tranny is going in) then what I will run into is the the fact that the turbo and auto set up is a pain.

I know we are going to have make some adjustments similar to what you did to cheat as you said . lol/
As for the other mods, your 100% right and I knew that. A few upgrades in the Suspension (but not many), tranny will be the biggest one. Of course all the fuel upgrades etc.

One thing the end results will not be easy and I have to patient. But I can say this were I am now compared to a S/C set up's that I have drove I feel by far my car drives leaps and bounds above theres. I am really surprised at the driveabilty now. Though I know as the boost and power goes up the driveabilty will never be what it is now.

Thanks for your response and thanks you being professional even though we may disagree.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:23 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

No worries - I'm just trying to give you a heads up what to expect before you dump 20+ grand and expecting certain results.

True, the auto makes things very diffcult but the downside to the manual is you can't get a bigger turbo to spool on the line without a trick 2 step and nobody has been able to do a successful 2 step on the predator or sct yet.

High 10's on a street car is VERY IMPRESSIVE and you are in the right direction to make that happen. I'm not trying to discourage you - just inform you of the limitations and stuff you'll have to deal with.

Mark
Old 05-13-2007, 08:02 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Thanks! What worries me is what happens when I get to high 10's. I'm hope I can be happy with that. I have had my turbo set up now for a month and I am probaly high 11's low 12's (with D/R and 17 inch rims of course) and I am already itching for more. But being in a 400rwhp+ car and a 550 rwhp+ car is like going from a pinto to a Ford GT.......So I hope that will make me happy. If it dont, Ford GT here I come
Old 05-13-2007, 08:31 PM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

My hats off to you and what your doing with your Stang and the turbo. It's good to see you have your S*** staight and your goal focused. I hope you come up with the results you want. Who knows, if you come up with the right setup for the street then you may have a big following!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:38 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

bingo. thats what I am hoping for. I know others failed trying maybe my patience will work out. Its tough because there are few I can go to with questions and even then they either failed or gave up and went another route. So we are setting the bar, hopefully