Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long tubes, but not yet

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Default Long tubes, but not yet

I am going to be getting long tubes, but as of the moment i cant install them, nor do i trust any of the shops in the near by area to install them, (i am a student at college, and i have the most basic tools and a parking spot), but i do want to go ahead and put on a mid pipe section w/ high flow cats that can eventually be upgraded to long tubes when i go back up to my home in PA, which i can put my car on the lift and install the long tubes. Or evolution performace is right near by.

Question is, which mid section does everyone reccomend me going with that i can upgrade to long tubes eventually. Thanks so much guys (and girls)
Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Long tubes, but not yet

The mid pipes for longtubes are different than those for without. If you were going for shortys youd be fine but long tubes usually come in a kit with the new mid pipe. The mid pipe has to be shorter for long tubes because they come out farther than stock. Also your cats will be relocated when you add the longtubes.

So best bet is to just wait till you get home a newx pipe with cats is only going to add a few hp anyway it wouldnt be worth it at this point if your planning on upgrading to long tubes
Old 05-31-2007, 03:28 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

I thought there were some kits that had a section that could be removed for long tube headers

Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 PM
DOBERMAN
1st Gear Member

SLP makes one. That's what I did , got the midpipe saved some money then got the headers.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:46 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Good to know sorry for my mistake , thats pretty awesome actually i wish i knew that because i waited several months to save up before i could get my longtubes with the entire kit, I just wish they had more kits out there with the h pipe i found the jba one but thats it . H pipes sound better IMO
Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 AM
DOBERMAN
1st Gear Member

I agree I would have rather had an H-pipe but Love what I have.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:45 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

I just want to say that after doing my BBK LTs wed. night it was fun but it took about 4 hrs. That was with air tools and a lift and 2 ford mechanics. Also I went with an o/r x-pipe with stock mufflers and I love the sound. Just be prepared for the worst and be prepared for anything. I had 2 cut 2 bolts so we could put the nuts on to bolt the headers up. Something else didnt go as planned but i cant remember.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:47 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Well, I personally think you're going about it the wrong way. I don't care what midpipe you can or cannot fit on your car right now. If you go with ARH headers or another good system, mixing and matching parts would not do them justice. The first thing I did was change the mufflers out since they will mate up with anything that leads up to them. This was done for sound alone, not power. Later on I then had long tubes plus a catted X pipe put on and I love them. ARH now makes an H pipe as well so you have EITHER midpipe option available. When you replace your exhaust system think of the big picture. What will last you the longest in terms of type of materials used, fit and finish, ease of install, and power gains. In short, what long tube headers out there are the best for your needs? Then save up your money until you're good to go. I think you're going to limit yourself by doing things *** backwards right now.
My advice is put your money into some mufflers that will sound nice in the meantime, research what headers you want,and then do them later when you can afford to.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:39 PM
DOBERMAN
1st Gear Member

I agree, you do limit your self by going this route. You have to match the midpipe to the headers you want. The SLP setup is what I wanted so that is the way I went.