Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shelby GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby GT

im pumped about mine i can tell you that, but the vin tracker on shelbys site says "arrived at SAI" and i called they said 4-6 weeks, but i know its going to probably be 2 months. [&:] here is a link to a guys photobucket from shelby GT forums, he has a pretty loaded car, keep in mind everything except the wheels he got installed by shelby at shelby before the car was deleiverd:
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t...eauty%20Shots/
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Well ain't no doubt you will look better that the Shelby 500 and be faster than the Shelby 500 Gt. Congrats my brother!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

its such bull**** what ford is doing with all their "performance" models. they put their stupid "performance" package on, which is like crappy versions of bolt ons, put a name on it, and sell it for like 10 grand premium over a regular GT. it makes me sick to know that the upcoming Bullit edition will not have the 5.0 Cammer 400 HP motor or anything like it, but a regular 3v with their "power pack". final total? 312 HP rated at the crank.

come on ford, don't be so goddamn lazy! engineer some kind of hopped up engine! the 3v isn't gonna last you forever!

and a little hint: those serious about performance will likely change out the "stock" intake anyway.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

+1

Get a GT and spend 10 grand and you'll be a ton faster than the shelby gt500. all youre buying is a name in my opinion. hang on to it for 50 years and it might be worth something
Old 06-05-2007, 08:37 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Wait, I put in over 10K in my GT and I wouldn't say it's tons faster then the 500.... Faster? yes, but TONS?? Tons is a big word!

ORIGINAL: Dex

+1

Get a GT and spend 10 grand and you'll be a ton faster than the shelby gt500. all youre buying is a name in my opinion. hang on to it for 50 years and it might be worth something
Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

well you didnt spend it on the right mods.

6k for turbo
4k for forged internals/gauges/plugs/etc

=15lbs on my turbo!!! i think 200rwhp (give or take) is a ton faster

oh and by the way, your black shelby looks badass
Old 06-05-2007, 09:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: freefallpat

Wait, I put in over 10K in my GT and I wouldn't say it's tons faster then the 500.... Faster? yes, but TONS?? Tons is a big word!

ORIGINAL: Dex

+1

I have to agree with freefall on this...it might be fast but I will take the GT500 over the modded GT anyday.

I am kinda disappointed with the fact that "shelby" is basically a name now....I cant see him putting that much into the making of the cars anymore...they are more mass produced like any other mustang. The addons are ok....but far from what they could be...the FRPP power pack adds a whopping 20 HP or so which is the same that a CAI/tune combo from Brenspeed or B ama adds. I like the car I just wish they did more with it.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

ive heard the stock shelby gt tune is kinda weak too, dunno if this is true or not. and shelby didnt make the gt500, ford did thats why people like the shelby gt, its acctually done at shelbys plant and they are only makin 6000 this year (making both converts and hard tops for 08 blue w/ silver stripes)
Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 PM
07SGT57
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Let me start this by saying I am not insultinganyone who bought one, because they are gorgeous machines, and they ARE still Shelby's. I am just expressing some sincere disappointment and some disbelief I guess...

My sisters dealership got a Shelby GT in, so she called me up and asked if I would like to come take a look at it and test drive it. Me being the person I am, all but jumped out of my seat and went there right away. I get there and it's a nice white Shelby GT with the spoiler delete. Real nice clean looking car... so I start to look it over to see what they did to it...

... and proceeded to get more and more disappointed. For 40K, I expected more, and I certainly expected alot more creativity from Carol Shelby. It's like they took the Ford Racing Catalog and threw it at a GT, and whetever stuck, was what they put on it.

Here's what I saw (all parts are FRPP)
Cold air intake (which is made by Steeda, without the new elbow)
Shifter (made by Hurst)
GTA Axle backs (made by Superior I think the company is called)
the X pipe conversion (which looks like a Bassani piece I think)
the FRPP Lowering package; Shocks, Springs, Sways (again, not a piece made by Shelby)
FRPP Strut tie bar (also made by Steeda)
A Shelby Scuff plate (made by Scott Drake)

A vynil stripe kit

And the only piece made by Shelby:
A name plate, with a stamped version of Carols signature on it.

Seriously..I could build the same car for about 10K less. All my life, even as a die hard Chevy man, I always looked to Shelby as an icon of what it meant to be a performance shop. The GT 500 and the KR are marvels, no arguements there...I guess if you look at the Shelby GT as more of a collectors car than a true Shelby performance machine, it has its place... I dunno, I just expected... more. I mean, he didn't even upgrade the spagetti like LCA's that are on the cars. Driving it was really like driving a Stock GT that was running "strong on a good cool day". I can even tell there's a TON left in the tune on that car.

I dunno.. Like I said.. I guess my expectation were too high maybe? The only good thing that came from it, is that I am definately getting the GTA's and the X pipe now after hearing them.
They did the same thing for the '66 gt350..

emperor,who are youin theshelby forums?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

emperorofchicken its the shelby autos forums im on

Quick Reply: Shelby GT