Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP PLEASE...This Doesn't Mkae Sense!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 PM
mriverdude1

Default RE: HELP PLEASE...This Doesn't Make Sense!

I have the steeda cai but I didn't get the sct with their tune. I have the sniper so I had to build my tune from scratch with an afr sensor. With the first tune it was running on the lean side and would act very simmilar to the prob your describing, once I got the afr to 12.8 to 13.0 it runs great. Since you have the steeda tune it sounds more likely that when you installed cai you had a crack somewhere in the plumbing, these cars are VERY sensitive to extra air, or extra fuel. Couple of quick questions, do you have the steeda intake tube, if yes check the connection at the throttle body this area is easy to have a small crack in, also how does the car idle upon initial start up when cold. When my tune was off on cold start up it would rev really high and bounce around for a while between 1200 and 2200. Just my 2 cents but it sounds like the tune.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mriverdude1

I have the steeda cai but I didn't get the sct with their tune. I have the sniper so I had to build my tune from scratch with an afr sensor. With the first tune it was running on the lean side and would act very simmilar to the prob your describing, once I got the afr to 12.8 to 13.0 it runs great. Since you have the steeda tune it sounds more likely that when you installed cai you had a crack somewhere in the plumbing, these cars are VERY sensitive to extra air, or extra fuel. Couple of quick questions, do you have the steeda intake tube, if yes check the connection at the throttle body this area is easy to have a small crack in, also how does the car idle upon initial start up when cold. When my tune was off on cold start up it would rev really high and bounce around for a while between 1200 and 2200. Just my 2 cents but it sounds like the tune.
mriverdude1 - Thanks for the ideas. What's confusing is that the problem only occurs after the car has sat hot for ten minutes or so. Drive for 4 minutes and it runs perfectly. I would think an air leak would affect things most of the time. Idles and runs perfectly at start up. Could it be running lean when really hot after a 10 minute parking period...then not once things cool down? This whole thing would be easier if it just did it all the time.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:38 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Talked to Steeda today. Emailing me a tune that is specific to the ecm in my car (a four digit code). They're not sure but are going to try this first.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:16 PM
mriverdude1

The heat issue could come from the afr being off, when my car tune was a little too lean if I ran the car till it was hot the hesitation would go away, since hot air isn't as dense it would slightly richen the mixture. In your case since it runs worse after heating up I'm more inclined to think that your tune is too rich. On mine it would act up in the same rpm range, the cars pcm tunes fuel through 3 rpm ranges and it always seems to be the middle range that problems do occur. Of course without a afr meter this would be hard to tell. I do think the sea foam could have something to do with it as well even though when you put everything back to stock it ran fine. When you put a cai and a tuner on it brings the car closer to the ragged edge, so problems that are masked by the mild factory tune will show up.
Let us know what happens, I'm sure steeda will get it figured out, I've used parts from them for years and never had a problem they didn't straighten out.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

If the fuel pump turns out not to be the issue, the the next thing I would check is the 02 sensors. I also don't think it's the plugs cause plugs fouling usually are first noticed in the higher rpm ranges.

My bet is fuel pump or an 02 sensor. Have you datalogged it? I had a bad 02 sensor twice and never threw a code.

Also make sure your TB is clean.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, [approaches and softens] does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests...

Sorry... it was all I could think about when I read the subject...
Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Cjack2005

ORIGINAL: wasvette

Talked to Steeda today. Emailing me a tune that is specific to the ecm in my car (a four digit code). They're not sure but are going to try this first.
This is probally gonna fix the hole damn thing. If its running fine STOCK you dont have bad fuel pumps, throttle bodies, injectors ect. The problem lies either in the tune or in the CAI. Work with Steeda they will get you up and running.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:04 AM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

put in new plugs.i was going to get mine dynoed awhile back.i put in some octane boost and it followed all the plugs.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Update:

Loading new emailed tune from Steeda Friday with SCT. Talked to Steeda today and it turns out their is something funky with the tune they sent or originally. Now I'm not the only one they've seen with this issue. The good news is that they are on it and I have a good feeling this will fix it!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

So, after several weeks of jacking with this it turned out to be a bad tune. They said this is the first time they've seen this. New tune now custom to my processor and voila all is good. Don at Steeda is the follow up king. This is the reason I bought through Steeda. He saw it through to the last minute.

Thanks to all that gave feedback!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin
06 GT
Working Steeda tune and CAI