Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How To Launch An Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How To Launch An Auto?

So it seems that a break stand is the best way to launch. And yea I definitely knew that because of the gears he is launching better. I have had a few good launches where I was side by side with him but we only got it up to about 70 because of lack of room. We have an empty strip near our house that we always go to but we really cant get it up that fast.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

I was running constant 2 .002sec. to 1.94060 ft.times with just a Tune,C&L CAI anX pipe. Some LCAs and Relocation brackets!Yes you can set the shift points with an SCT and the line pressure also. You can raise the shift rpm per gear and up the rev limit...I would not go past 6,800. I would shift by 6,400. Leave it in drive.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:17 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Is 4.10's worth while over the stock 3.55's?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:12 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Yep, using the brake and and throttle up to about 2G. (power braking). Way Way back, all my cars were automatics. '69 firebird, 2 '65 chevelles, '67 camaro, '68 chevelle. I raced soo much, I actually started driving my auto with 2 feet (left foot braking). If you know your RPM range for your gears, you can drive an auto just like a manual. After all, it is a 5sp auto. The difference nowadays is that computers control shift points when left in drive. I start off in 1st and shift my automatic manually (it's funner and you can rev the motor higher without having to be WOT). But I only do that when feeling cocky or want to let onlookers hear my motor. As for driving on canyon roads, I never leave it in drive because you always have to push to far on the gas because of being in to high of a gear.. You can downshift when going into corners (just like the manuals). Sorry for rambling but in my opinion the automatic can be just as fun (if you know how to drive it)
Old 06-27-2007, 03:09 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for that info. You actually answered my question about upshifting from off the line. I was curious if that could hurt my car and what not. I appreciate the useful info, thanks.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 AM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I have spent an enormous amount of time tuning just my tranny with the SCT tuner. Go to thier website and you can download free programs that will give you full tranny adjustment. Line presure, shift points up and down (I have mine set up currently that it downshifts as aggressivly as someone would yanking down the gears on a road course in a standard), converter lockup schedules, the works. You will need a PC uplink cable.I have an 05' ordered before they were being sold and it has been "on the tune" since it was three months old. Back then tuners didn't have all they needed to tune an auto, now they have it and are really good. What took me countless times down the track and crazy data-logging to tune my own, these guys have also figured out and are turning out some great improvements. I have been around a lot of these new Stangs at the strip and it is a crapshoot as to the best launch. My car originally responded better to flashing the converter, meaning floor it from idle, and that was on Brenspeed's tune with some upgrades. Now I have a lot of upgrades, most noteable suspension. I began to overpower the tires by flashing at launch. I now brake stand...because it is gentler than when I flash, and I don't spin at the lights. I am pulling 1.92 60ft times right now on the stock P-zero's. I race in Drive OD off TCS off. I let the car shift, thats what it is tuned to do.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Vic gtcs

grampa stang is right! Practice shifting it going along the highway. You can feel that when you reach a certain rpm in each gear its time to shift. I have found that mine performs better if I shift at 6400. If your going to run on the strip you should prob. think of changing the gears it would help!