Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First Mods . . . Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 PM
BigDon

Default RE: First Mods . . . Any advice?

ORIGINAL: s197richie

ORIGINAL: PLstang

+1 and you can throw some under drive pulleys on to give it a little more kick (pretty effective and cheap mod). However, keep your stock pullies if you ever wnat to go FI later.
while we're on the subject, you should really keep all of your stock parts, in case you have to swap around for warranty work...
I was thinking that was a good idea to keep the stock parts for the same reason. So how hard is it to change out the pullies anyway? If it's fairly easy, I'll look into it more seriously.

Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM
DaRkHoRsE216

As far as a little more grumble, when i got my 03' the very first thing I did has put ion shorty headers (BBK) an off road x-pipe and flowmaster super 40s. This car is loud. You can hear it a block away. And keep the factory h/x pipe handy, throw it on for emissions. You'll need mil eliminators too.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ yeah the intake and tune is very straightforward, basicly screwdrivers and a socket set for the intake and opposable thumbs and a knowledge of where your datalink connector is for your tuner.
if you're serious about s/c anytime in the future nix the pullies (they'll underdrive the sc and we don't want that do we) and if you do the gear route,better get some 3.73s (4.10s may be too short a gear to take full advantage of your powerband in some sc applications)
...as far as installation goes, I've never come across a thread that stated "wow x brand is a real b!tch to put in compared to y brand"...
...keep in mind that the axleback may sound nice but that's all it does...no hp gain whatsoever...
...and one last thing: every single one of us has, sooner or later,stood up to the warranty monster and flipped it the double-bird, I'm sure you will too...just a matter of time lol...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigDon

Thanks guys, I suppose I could have told you what I have in a little more detail. I have the stick. I think muscle cars are more fun with the manual transmission. It's a convertible.I was thinking about starting with these items just to get a feel for it. I was thinking I would go with a SC down the road. It's still new. 2007 GT, only a few months old so I'm kind of leery to do too much right away for warranty reasons. Same reason I wasn't doing pullies just yet. I am also steering away from gears because of what they do for gas mileage. I drive it everyday and just want to give it a little more kick for now. Oh, and a little more grumble. I think I'll get onto all the other stuff a little later.

Anyway, as far the things I mentioned, Are all brands similar as far as installation goes? Are some more difficult than others?

I was also curious about the tune. Is it a point and click thing? Do you plug it in and select the tune and it does the rest? I have no idea how that works. I realize how sad that may sound, but I guess I was a late bloomer on the car mods thing. LOL!
The tune itself is simple as can be. You plug it in and it tells you to press a few buttons, tun the key on, etc. Easy.

The CAI part is a little more complicated, but it is also very easy. Even someone with no car knowledge can figure it out. It's just basically replacing the stock airbox.

Pullies will require a Pulley Puller (yes, that's what it's called) and might require an impact wrench too. You can probably convince a shop to do it for you for less than you'd have to pay for the Puller.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 PM
BigDon

Good info guys thanks!!

About the headers? Are they a pain? I would venture to think that shorties are easier than long tube headers and I also realize that the LT's require different mid pipes, but how hard are they to install?

I'm getting addicted to this QUICK! My bank account is going to hate me! LOL!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

headers are not easy and the shorties are not worth the money either....LT are the only way to go.....i am thinking sometime around march for me....
Old 08-02-2007, 08:25 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^ the general consensus on shorties is that they're not worth the $$ for the minimal power gain (5hp I think) and effort to install.
I've been turned off of longtubes since MMFF added them to their project MILF car (which already had a whipple sc), along with hi-flow cats and performance mufflers - about $2500 worth of parts, they did the labor - and picked up a whopping 2 hp and 17 ft/lbs, and two tenths in the quarter (and that was with a tune). From what I hear labor on longtubes is very rough on the old wallet...but some are claiming 20-30hp gain from a full exhaust (LTs, midpipe and mufflers with a tune) so who knows. But I'll spend my $2K on a nitrous setup with all the toys, installed professionally while I abuse the mustang forums in my comfy air conditioning...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I wish people wouldnt reference the MMFF so much....this is a one time thing and i havent heard anyone else have that low or gains......CrazyAl reported 19 and many others have reported very similar numbers. Hell the torq that MMFF picked up is nice and LT have been known to be a great mod for torq even more than HP. Headers are really needed if you are doing cams/heads/TB and so forth so even if you do get great gains directly from them they can be a good building point.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:02 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

That car is very conservatively tuned.... Reading the gears article now! Sep 07

ORIGINAL: s197richie

^^^ the general consensus on shorties is that they're not worth the $$ for the minimal power gain (5hp I think) and effort to install.
I've been turned off of longtubes since MMFF added them to their project MILF car (which already had a whipple sc), along with hi-flow cats and performance mufflers - about $2500 worth of parts, they did the labor - and picked up a whopping 2 hp and 17 ft/lbs, and two tenths in the quarter (and that was with a tune). From what I hear labor on longtubes is very rough on the old wallet...but some are claiming 20-30hp gain from a full exhaust (LTs, midpipe and mufflers with a tune) so who knows. But I'll spend my $2K on a nitrous setup with all the toys, installed professionally while I abuse the mustang forums in my comfy air conditioning...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

keep in mind, you gota pay to play.

cheap, fast, reliable; pick 2.

i'd say start with suspension mods. better bang for the buck. or start with C&L intake + SCT tune + Kooks LT and X pipe combo.

Quick Reply: First Mods . . . Any advice?