Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

new thoughts on the optimal s197 exhaust....interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:01 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default new thoughts on the optimal s197 exhaust....interesting.

x pipe: nice screaming sound, but the 4.6 isn't big enough to support it deepness wise, and it just sounds raspy and high. also, with chambered mufflers, sounds rattly/tin-canny and not good at anything other than WOT.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UphX4JOEr...ed&search=

h pipe: good low end rumble, but doesn't have the top end mettle and sounds trumpety. doesn't go well with bullet style mufflers.

winner: PROCHAMBER. has the low end rumble but sounds good in the top end, with definition and "effort" to the sound of the engine. most pure sound IMO. case in point: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qAsl4TC2nrI

now, for the mufflers:

the only muffler that has truly impressed me is the pypes mid muffler. now, lets face it, we all want our cars to sound like a new edge gt; to have that distant deep rumble echoing in the post-muffler pipes.

http://www.brenspeed.com/info/media/pypesmid.wmv

i think thats the best muffler replacement system i've seen so far. i dunno, what do you think?

so as of now, i think thats the combo im gonna go with. takin a ****in leap of faith here. in 5 months. im gonna order it and have it installed. am i nuts? probably. but ill be a pioneer. i think ive finally decided.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: new thoughts on the optimal s197 exhaust....interesting.

Even with the pro-chamber, I believe that the mid-muffler system without cats is going to be raspy still because it's a straight-thru design. even the stangs of the past sounded kinda raspy with bullet style mufflers and no cats.

I believe a chambered axleback like the GTAs matched with the Pro-Chamber is going to give you a smoother sound (if that's what you're looking for)
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

I just want to hear what a SC'd stock exhaust with SLP Loudmouth's sounds like. Come across any youtubeswith that?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SonicBlue05GT

Even with the pro-chamber, I believe that the mid-muffler system without cats is going to be raspy still because it's a straight-thru design. even the stangs of the past sounded kinda raspy with bullet style mufflers and no cats.

I believe a chambered axleback like the GTAs matched with the Pro-Chamber is going to give you a smoother sound (if that's what you're looking for)
i think "raspiness" is not well defined......they're trumpeting (borla and offroad H pipe) they're rattling (o/r and flowmasters [:'(][:'(][:'(]) and then theres that sound you get when you get the right combination of midpipe and axleback.

i think the mid muffler lends itself to the h pipe, but needs a stronger sounding top end...........the prochamber seems to be the perfect compromise

Old 08-22-2007, 03:22 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

I cant even begin to tell you how good my top end sounds with my o/r H-Pipe...maybe it's the way Saleen does their Magnaflow exhaust setup with dumps straight out of the mufflers, but damn! It sounds like a damn race car at WOT!! I get compliments everyday for the sound.