Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why are superchargers so much for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Why are superchargers so much for our cars?

I understand. Powershifting to me is never letting off the throttle and is why I asked the question cause if the tensioner was going under WOT, then there is a fix for it with reworking the belt and slack. It really is a BIG issue for manual cars that most people never hear about cause it's not seen on your 'average' power levels and it's certainly not getting a lot of 'press' mainly because I think no one has a solution for it or know 'IF' there is a solution for it.

Little secret that a lot of people don't know about Burcham is his procharger does the same thing...

That's why you never see that car at any other events besides shootout's. Heck - even in the last open shootshoot (the one PH won BTW [congrats Mike]) he was out after one pass when he twisted the tensioner. He usually has a couple tensioners and belts on hand and usually blows his belt off several times before that one 'magic' pass people end up reading about.

Not taking anything away from justin - he is a great guy but he also doesn't use that car for any competition racing because of it. He uses his cobra for competition.

I like your thinking and I was on the same approach. If I didn't have a buyer for the vortech and mike wasn't giving me a deal on the PH kit, my next plan was to go to a cog set-up - straight from blower to crank and rework the accessories with a new belt set-up. All in all though, if your buddy continues to have problems then it might be best in the long run (and cheaper) to just bite the bullet for a 4r70. Heck, he'd love it I'd bet anyway. If he's going for track mostly, then drop a C4 like you've got.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Alright just to clarify that I am understanding everything.

First I dont powershift ever, either the foot the floor through the shift method or the slight let off. I am fully off the clutch, shift, back in it. I believe they call that a granny shift but not sure.

Assuming a properly installed and running kit. If I run it to red line granny shift and keep accelerating I should have no problem.

The problem described above about breaking belts and tensionersis running it to redline and then getting completely out of the throttle.

Would the solution on the street to this be run to red line, shift pull and then slowly decel?

Also want to say thanks, always wanted a turbo stang but your thoughts are appreciated and I think I will go with your suggestion and stay with the plan of the Whipple HO.

I have a feeling that it will be like when I upgraded from a 600cc sportbike to a 1000cc sport bike. I rarely ever went to redline because you cant use that much power on the street. It was more of a treat every now and then.

What I really want is increased acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear. No one has ever raced me at a stop light only on the highway.

So far I have lost to a modded WRX STI and if you could believe it a Ford GT (no idea why he even wanted to but it was fun).

Beat everyone else, for some reason Trailblazzer SS's always want to race.

Thanks for you time and suggestions.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 AM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Horizontal price fixing FTW! It's a conspiracy I tell you! Mr. Saleen conferencecalled Mr. Whipple,Mr. Procharger, and Mr. Paxtonthe day the S197 hit the market and violated national anti-trust laws. The horror!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

Alright just to clarify that I am understanding everything.

First I dont powershift ever, either the foot the floor through the shift method or the slight let off. I am fully off the clutch, shift, back in it. I believe they call that a granny shift but not sure.

Assuming a properly installed and running kit. If I run it to red line granny shift and keep accelerating I should have no problem.

The problem described above about breaking belts and tensioners is running it to redline and then getting completely out of the throttle.

Would the solution on the street to this be run to red line, shift pull and then slowly decel?

Also want to say thanks, always wanted a turbo stang but your thoughts are appreciated and I think I will go with your suggestion and stay with the plan of the Whipple HO.

I have a feeling that it will be like when I upgraded from a 600cc sportbike to a 1000cc sport bike. I rarely ever went to redline because you cant use that much power on the street. It was more of a treat every now and then.

What I really want is increased acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear. No one has ever raced me at a stop light only on the highway.

So far I have lost to a modded WRX STI and if you could believe it a Ford GT (no idea why he even wanted to but it was fun).

Beat everyone else, for some reason Trailblazzer SS's always want to race.

Thanks for you time and suggestions.
Again, you don't hear a lot about the tensioner issue cause it's not really an issue either until you start pushing the car. Liek I said, in the 400-450 rwhp range - with a proper install and no HARD powershifting - you shouldn't see any issues.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
169stang
1st Gear Member

I was in error before saying I wouldn't put a S/Cr on an 05 until they figure this tensioner/belt issue out. Well.....it's true, I wouldn't, but I would run the car harder than 90% of the other owners. Normal driving and occassional flogging will be okay. It's more along the lines like Mark mentioned.