Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is My Fuel Pump Failing? Battery? Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:17 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Is My Fuel Pump Failing? Battery? Spark Plugs?

I'm with Ham - it's definitely not the plugs and sure sounds like the FPDM, the fuel pump, or alternator to me and that would be my first check on my list. I highly doubt the batteries are the issue either or you would be having more issues when you attempt startup. I also don't think anything is wrong with your BAP.

My thinking in this order is #1- The fuel pump or the connection to the fuel pump #2 - the FPDM #3 - the alternator

You didn't blow the fuel pump fuse or your car wouldn't start but you could have a faulty connection that's cutting the power in and out and that would explain why it happens intermittently and why your pressure goes wacky at times.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

The first thing you need to do is ditch that BAP Crap. All that does is increase/spike the voltage to the fuel pump to force it to pump more fuel. It is crap in my opinion. And one of the reason why I would never buy a Kenne Bell

It sounds to me as though you may have more than one issue going on here. My guess would be the alternator first and foremost. Get the car started and check the voltage. You should have 14.0 or above. If that is good most likely you have an issue with the Fuel pump driver module or the pump itself. Take it in and pay them to diagnose it and then you can either fix it yourself or let them do it. But all of us sitting here guessing without being able to perform diagnostic test is really pointless.

Richard
Old 09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

The first thing you need to do is ditch that BAP Crap. All that does is increase/spike the voltage to the fuel pump to force it to pump more fuel. It is crap in my opinion. And one of the reason why I would never buy a Kenne Bell

It sounds to me as though you may have more than one issue going on here. My guess would be the alternator first and foremost. Get the car started and check the voltage. You should have 14.0 or above. If that is good most likely you have an issue with the Fuel pump driver module or the pump itself. Take it in and pay them to diagnose it and then you can either fix it yourself or let them do it. But all of us sitting here guessing without being able to perform diagnostic test is really pointless.

Richard
Who pissed in your cornflakes today, Rich?

We are not diagnosing the problem, simply giving him some ideas of where to look- just as you just did...

I don't want to get into a debate over the BAP with you right now in this thread and I repect your opinion but let's talk aboutt he FACTS...

FACT - I have not heard of a single BAP failure
FACT - I have not heard of a single car under 450 rwhp with a BAP and stock fuel pump running out of fuel
FACT - the BAP and #39 injectors is more than enough to support 400 rwhp with a single pump

So what do you base your opinion on the BAP's being junk from? They have been tried and proven for YEARS with previous gen mustangs.

If you have some info I don't then please let me know. I am just not aware of anything to the contrary.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I have heard of a boost-a-pump failure, but I can't for the life of me remember who or what forum.

Checking the voltage at the aternator and the fpdm is a great idea. Alternators on these cars seem to be dropping like flies, wtf?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

My Radar Detector has a built in voltage meter, and it usually reads 13.2-13.4v. Since this started happening, its about 13.0-13.1.

Oh, and you mentioned a blown fuse...I replaced my Fuel Pressure fuse from a 15A to a 20A because it kept blowing the 15A. I figured that the BAP was drawing more power thus needed a bigger fuse. Besides, I was one the side of the road and I ran out of 15A so all I had was a 20A. Its worked fine, but maybe now somethings gone screwy?
https://mustangforums.com/m_3071726/tm.htm

~Fred