Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

who has a radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Briscoe
2nd Gear Member

Default who has a radar detector?

Just wondering who has a radar detector on their car? Do they work every time, or have you still got a speeding ticket?

what brand works the best?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Default RE: who has a radar detector?

Old cobra....Picks up more convenience stores than cops. Can be nice when you can't see the cop around a bend.

Invest in a new good one, like a valentine or passport.

I am in a few months
Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 PM
HunterS664
1st Gear Member

The best radar detector in my opinion is the Beltronics STI Driver.

Cops now have radar detector detectors to pick up on people who have radar dectectors and you could imagine how extremely more willing they are to give those people with a detector a ticket. The STI Driver is made out of magnesium and is undetectable by radar detector detectors. Besides that the detector works great, has awsome distance and is one of the best out there.
just my 2cents

look up radardetectors.com they have toonnss of info on the best stuff for certain needs.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

I have a new cobra cant remb. exact model number. its pretty decent for the money im sure not the best. but i like it, it does like to pick up some stores so in town is pretty worthless, but shouldnt be speedin in town any ways. for the money mine was worth it.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:46 PM
sopenco1
1st Gear Member

i have a new cobra i picked up at circuit city for 80 bucks and it works great except do not trust it too much because i ran a stop sign at two in the morning and the cop was hiding with his radar off so i zoomed by, 10 seconds later my radar goes off i slow down but too late cop had me speeding and not stoping at a stop sign i was doing 40 at a 30 zone at the time i ran it. but on the freeway and on the street if the cop has his on it will detect it in time for me to slow down..
Old 10-16-2007, 05:50 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

I don't like radar detectors because I start to rely on them and think it is alright to speed when in fact there is a cop hiding around the corner with his radar off. my 2 cents
Old 10-16-2007, 05:52 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I use the passport 8500 x50. I haven't gotten any tickets with it yet, but I still use common sense when I'm driving fast, a detector can only do so much. Passport came out with the 9500. It is supposed to be the same strength-wise as the 8500 but it has a cool gps feature to mark false alarm locations, which would be extremely convienent, as the false alarms in areas you constantly drive around get really annoying. I'm thinking about taking mine back and putting out the extra $100 for it. If you live in a state where radar detectors are illegal, I would def recommend the above noted STI as it cannot be detected. Also, I think beltronics and passport may be the same company, though I could be wrong.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:07 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanSpeed

I use the passport 8500 x50. I haven't gotten any tickets with it yet, but I still use common sense when I'm driving fast, a detector can only do so much. Passport came out with the 9500. It is supposed to be the same strength-wise as the 8500 but it has a cool gps feature to mark false alarm locations, which would be extremely convienent, as the false alarms in areas you constantly drive around get really annoying. I'm thinking about taking mine back and putting out the extra $100 for it. If you live in a state where radar detectors are illegal, I would def recommend the above noted STI as it cannot be detected. Also, I think beltronics and passport may be the same company, though I could be wrong.
+2, i have the passport wireless. its ok, but my local cops have some kind of incent on where my rd doesnt go off till im in front of them. Works great on highways and the expressway, other wise; i try not speed on the other rds.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:16 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

ORIGINAL: AmericanSpeed

+2, i have the passport wireless. its ok, but my local cops have some kind of incent on where my rd doesnt go off till im in front of them. Works great on highways and the expressway, other wise; i try not speed on the other rds.
i have this one also. I got 1 ticket on the freeway the cop pointed it at my car pulled the trigger my detector went off like crazty TOO LATE.
I want the intergrated detector with a jammer, that is next
Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Radar detectors can only give u the upper hand when cops are using K/KA based dash mounted radar systems. They have a very short range and radar detectors can pick them up easily. However, most speed trap police officers use laser guns. Radar detectors cannot detect them until the cop fires the laser at you, by then, making it too late. Laser guns have a much longer range than the radars, so cops will use them to "sneak attack" unwarey speeders.

Radar detectors do not always protect you, but can give you some protection, or tell you to get ready to pull over.

Quick Reply: who has a radar detector?