Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

who has a radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 AM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: who has a radar detector?

I've heard that the stuff you put on your license plate doesn't work. It may delay the laser from locking on for a few moments, but that's it. Also, radar jammers, the good ones, are illegal in most states, if not all. However, laser jammers are legal in most states. The good ones mount under the hood in the grill area (there are generally two) and one in rear. They will keep a laser from locking on for a few seconds giving you time to slow down. I believe Passport makes one along with some other companies. The main thing with laser guns is that the user must be stationary. If you are attentive, you can generally spot them in the median or on an overpass. Another effective tactic is to watch out for brake lights ahead, especially at the crest of a hill or going around a corner.
In my experience, the radar detector is an excellent tool for interstate driving, outside of large metropolitan areas. Laser guns are expensive, and smaller towns, cities may not have them. I have been using radar detectors for about 10 years and have never gotten a ticket for speeding on an interstate (knock on wood). Where you find trouble is speeding along a two-lane road, especially at night, when you can't tell if the oncoming car is a cop. The cop can use the instant-on radar and your detector won't save you from that. Got a ticket that way once years back.

But again, attentiveness is important. Also, speeding can be dangerous.

Dustin
Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Somebody needs to invent a device that locates police cars by using their transponder signal and triangulate their position. That unit could belinked or integrated with a GPS deviceand display their location on a live screen.A buffer distance could be set by the user and the GPS could sound an alarm when a police car is within the buffer distance toyour car. That would be cool!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I agree w/ everyone about there not a pass to speed everywhere. What i did when i first got one was, i DIDNT speed! That way i could figue out how well they work and where they work.

My results for s jersey is, there great on the expressway/highways. but some rich local town cops have ka/k bands but they dont go off till im in front of them...werid, so ya...i dont speed there.

cherry hill-rd ok

medford-rd pretty good

medford lakes- they dont go of till the cop all ready has u

state troppers-pretty good when there hidding(expressway) but if there coming the other way, its risky (rt206)

voorhees/berlin- there ok

marl/evesham- seem to be ok, close to risky.