Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

short throw expert opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: short throw expert opinion

ORIGINAL: onederful100

if its for a daily driver, you may not need a SS shifter, its better for slamming gear shifts and not missing 3rd, but any short throw shifter will be stiffer, if you just want the look you can just change the shifter ****. i think stock shifter is fine for daily driver.
yeah, i was going to do that, but i like the chrome shift handle too and i cant find any that fits the stock linkage
Old 11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

the hurstdefinitely has more positive feedback of"knowing your in gear" between MGW and hurst, however, it is a very notchy feel. Someone said this in another post and i think it fits perfectly!---> The hurst is like a deadbolt, you know when you lock it. Hurst=no problems knowing your in gear.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:47 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

LOL.....my standard post...... I've had both, Hurst=box of gravel but good looking.....Steeda Tri-ax is smooth and very positive, much much better.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

Roush is a good piece as well, but back them up with a k member brace and torque limiters and you will be really happy.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

hurst
Old 11-02-2007, 05:04 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

B & M for me and it too is clicky. But you do know when it's in gear. As for the handle I went with the T-handle
Old 11-02-2007, 10:48 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Pro 5.0 and you can definitely tell its in gear. Love it.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I had a hurst looks great works ok, now have a Pro 5.0 work ok looks stock. Personally I think a short throw shifter is not really worth the money. I am sure the MGW guys will disagree, but I don't have an opinion on that shifter never tried it.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: batmobile2005

ORIGINAL: onederful100

if its for a daily driver, you may not need a SS shifter, its better for slamming gear shifts and not missing 3rd, but any short throw shifter will be stiffer, if you just want the look you can just change the shifter ****. i think stock shifter is fine for daily driver.
yeah, i was going to do that, but i like the chrome shift handle too and i cant find any that fits the stock linkage
I go along with onederful100, I'm not convinced a SS shifter is best option for a DD. I have the MGW and love it, but my car is not a DD. The "click", "snap", "snick"...whatever you want to call it can wear you out after a while in traffic, there is more effort to shift than stock. The MGW also takes some concentration on what you are doing because the return spring wants to force the stick to the right. This makes the shift from 2nd to 3rd a no-brainer but 1st to 2nd you need to pay attention. The reward of course is when you want to drive aggressively - perfect, precise shifts with no questions if you are in gear or not.Another thought - the MGW is fully adjustable for height and throw (don't know about Hurst, Steeda, etc). Thus you could put it at its longest throw and set the **** high (more leverage) and it may be a good compromise between performance and DD.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:51 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

PRO 5.0 very good shifter

Quick Reply: short throw expert opinion