Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just my thoughts on the Saleen SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Default Just my thoughts on the Saleen SC

This thread is for people that install their own saleen supercharger.

When I installed my supercharger I had to take the stop bolt out to get the back bolt in. In doing so I ended up severing the pump actuator from the piece ofmetal that holds it to the supercharger. So to fix this I simply glued it on to the piece of metal. After the supercharger was finished the car started up but I did not have my full boost. I called up saleen and asked them what could be going on. They stated that the stop bolt is put in with precision when the supercharger is being built. This news really upset me since I realized I spent 7G's on something that is controlled by a 10 cent screw.

After a few weeks of taking everything apart, we pulled the top of the SC off, I removed the pump actuator and the metal piece the holds the pump to the SC anything we could unscrew we did, we thenput everything back together. I finally figured out that the stop bolt and the pump actuator plunger could not touch. We had to cut the stop bolt in half, screw it back in then all my boost came back! We tried to adjust everything on the dyno, screwing the stop bolt in, screwing it out a little. Anytime the stop bolt and the pump actuator plunger would touch I lost boost. A second thing that made me lose half boost was having the metal piece that holds the pump actuator to the supercharger pushed down then screwed in. I was able to duplicate allthese issues. So for me to run boost was to have the stop bolt not make contact with the thin metal washer thatconnects the pump actuator plunger to the rod on the supercharger and have the pump actuator housing moved all the way up. This was finally looking great. The car ran awesome for a few weeks then I decided to upgrade exhaust.

So after all this I was able to make some dyno pulls for some decent numbers. Now fast forward to installing KOOKS headers, delete cats and kooks xpipe. After the install I experienced 2 big issues. One when you punch it the car felt like it was in 4th gear creeping up to speed, it did not do this everytime only once in a while. Along these same lines, sometimes the car would feel like it would get a boost of speed once then it felt like the torque converter would lock and get another boost of speed around 5psi jump to 8 psi. Something was seriously wrong. Everyone said it could be the TPS, torque converter the tune, the fuel pump or the install of the new parts or the parts themselves. The car on the dyno was ugly The AF was reading really RICH the car was running really hot. So for a few weeks here I thought the torque converter was going. 2 nights ago and after few beers I got to work on the Supercharger again. This time I got a bigger stop bolt screw unscrewed the pump actuatorreseated everything no luck. I tried this so many timesbefore trying to fix the boost issue it never worked. Finally after the 4th time I adjusted the pump actuator and the new stop bolt screw to where the stop bolt touched pump actuator which previously the only way to get boost was to make the 2 parts not touch each other. I took the car out and oh my it ran perfectly. I thought this was a fluke so I beat on the car for a good 20 minutes and it ran awesome every time. The next morning on my way to work a 230 mile round trip I played with the car and it ran great! This being the 3d day after adjusting the parts I am comfortable to say my issue is now resolved. The car is super smooth and just comes to life at WOT like it never has. I suppose I would have never had this problem if I let someone else install the SC but it was a fun learning experience.

In the end if I could I would probably like a different supercharger if the KB or whipple don't have this stop bolt I would trade mine right away. As of now thecar is awesome and fun to drivebut I don't like knowing that a 7 thousand dollar supercharger's boost is controlled by a cheap screw and the position of the pump actuator.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just my thoughts on the Saleen SC

.....The same way a $200,000 car can be controlled by a $2 PCM fuse. Anyway, I'm glad all worked out in the end.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

almost made it through the whole thing, got
about 60%...

from what i did see, i'm glad it worked out
and i hope your enjoying your new power
Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

All's well, that ends well.......
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM
tim281
1st Gear Member

Installing that rear bolt was a b%*$ch and a half....I have since read that a ratcheting swivel wrench would of worked perfectly. As for your experience with the actuator...I thought that system controlled the blower bypass valve. The bypassonly allows thecar to boost pressureunder harder acceleration...right?? I can't see why the location of that screw would matter for wide open throttle performance since there is no hard stop on the upward travel of the actuator? There is only a hard stop when the actuator is not activated by engine vacuum or boost and you are just crusing along....
Any time you engage hard throttle on the car, I think that actuator is functioning to ensure your boost pressure not bypassed....
Please correct me if I am wrong...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

Glade it all worked out for you, I noticed for work it's a 230 mile round trip!?!? dang, I dont think I could do that every day.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Stories like these scare me...I am planning on installing my Saleen S/C as well
Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tim281

Installing that rear bolt was a b%*$ch and a half....I have since read that a ratcheting swivel wrench would of worked perfectly. As for your experience with the actuator...I thought that system controlled the blower bypass valve. The bypassonly allows thecar to boost pressureunder harder acceleration...right?? I can't see why the location of that screw would matter for wide open throttle performance since there is no hard stop on the upward travel of the actuator? There is only a hard stop when the actuator is not activated by engine vacuum or boost and you are just crusing along....
Any time you engage hard throttle on the car, I think that actuator is functioning to ensure your boost pressure not bypassed....
Please correct me if I am wrong...

I agree with you but I was able to duplicate everything I did. When Ithought I had to spend a few hundred to a few thousand dollars to fixmy issueI had to keep playing with it. Give brenspeed a call and ask them what the stop bolt does. They placed a call with saleen after I did to find out. You will probably be suprised.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:07 AM
tim281
1st Gear Member

Could you see any baffles or butterfly valves whenyou took off the top part of the supercharger? Now you got me wondering what exactly this actuator is controlling inside the supercharger.
Does anyone have any other experience adjusting the bypass valve on their charger?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM
kolb02
2nd Gear Member

Don't let it scare you just follow the instructions carefully

Quick Reply: Just my thoughts on the Saleen SC