Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Roy`s official Newbi thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Roy`s official Newbi thread

Hello again people, I have a new question for you all, I should probobly put it in a diffrent sub forum but I like my newbie thread

When our cars are painted at the factory, what kind of primer do they use? Its called primer here in sweden, you might have a diffrent name for it, what I meen is the "colour" you paint the car in first before you put the "real" paint on.

Im asking beacuse I noticed that a chip of paint it missing above the front window, and it seems to be rust where the paint is missing. My dad thinks that its just the primer that gives that brown rusty colour and that its nothing to worry about. But I cant stop thinking that its rust that is slowly covering my car roof underneath the paint.

I cant sleep, help me
Old 04-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Hello hello, I found the awnser myself, I seem to have rust on my roof, so Im getting the roof re painted, fixing a dent in the door at the same door, the incuranse company will pay for it, will cost me around 1000usd for getting the dent pulled out and painting the door and the roof.

anyway, new thing going, I have been playing with the SCT Xc2 and the Live Link program, recording some data, but I dont understand what I am seeing ^^

So could you guys please help me on what sort of stuff that could be intresting to measure for a noobie like me?

I measured some of the temps in the car, oil and coolant, air flow and such, and turqe at the flywheel, but I dont know what is "good" numbers, so I have numbers but nothing to compare with.

Like in 4th gear I got turque of 501 at the peak, 430 in third and 460 in second. Is there anywhere I can look for some numbers to compare with?

So please tell me all the fun stuff you can do with this program

Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

No fun stuff it seems >_<

Now I got some more questions for you all.

I would like to hear the pros, and cons about swaping my GT engine with a Shelby 500gt engine, instead of going F/I and eventully go with a strocked engine.

And what other stuff except for the engine that need to be changed, I guess I would need a six speed trans and maybe new tires ^^

A new engine seems to be about 14k usd and a bit more for shipping and taxes, so depending on what more I need to change this could be abit cheaper than going F/I.

So all the info you would like to share is welcome.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Roy
1st Gear Member

None with input to ad on this subject?

Okej, anyone have some tips on where to find used shelby 500gt engines? ^^

Guess there aint many out there, and I bet they get bought up real quick.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:42 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

how's everything going, Roy

the torque numbers look real good, what you got, but i have to be honest and i think that they are somewhat inaccurate. i have used my livewire to measure hp and tq and it is inaccurrate as well. my hp/tq w/ the whipple SC is 462 rwhp/ 432 tq, which would put the flywheel hp/tq at about 543/508. i dont think these plug and play readings for hp/tq are that accurate IMO.

i'm not too sure about the engine swap, but it would be much less expensive and easier to just go w/ FI, but if the swap is what you want, i dont think there are many used gt500 engines out there to buy bc they are great engines and the owners probly dont want to give them up. but lets see what others have to say.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:38 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Eveythings is good, except for the weather, no fun to drive in rain.

The only power adder I have is the Steeda CAI and brenspeed tune. Yeah you are probobly right about the livewire bein inacurrate, but its fun to play with anyway.

I would really like to see what the total cost would be of the engine swap, I think it might be worth it, at least it would be real fun to do.

A new engine would be around 14k.

If I would go F/I I will sooner or later have to go with a built motor, so thats like 6k for a S/C and how much more for the new motor? maybe 5k?

So for the F/I I would go to around 11k + shipping and taxes
and for the engine swap around 14k + shipping and taxes

The labour will be done by me and my dad so no cost for that.

But I will probobly have to change more stuff to get the engine swap complete, so If anyone can help me with that It would be great.

Thanks for your input Onederful.