Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tuning after Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:33 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default Tuning after Supercharger

I am looking into supercharging my car hopefully around February or March time frame. I have a B a m a tune on the car right now. I have to say that it drives like a dream. The car chirps gears, and just halls a$$. I was wondering if getting it dyno tuned after supercharging is the best way to go. Can you even order a tune off line after supercharging? Or should you get the car dyno tuned? Will it still shift just as good (hopefully better) ? And, where close to Frederick, MD is the best to go to have a car tuned after supercharging it?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:46 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Tuning after Supercharger

You can definitely get a tune over email after supercharging but if you get a dyno tune, that is always better with a poweradder
Old 11-17-2007, 05:08 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

u get the emailed tune, upload it to get the car running, and take it to your tuner for dyno tune to accommodate your specific engine so a/f and ignition is at its optimum and to make sure your putting out max power with max efficiency.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:09 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well it will depend on which supercharger you
go with. if you go with a Kenne Bell or whipple,
you may never desire a dyno tune (which basically
leans out the air/fuel ratio).

do some research and use your own good
judgement on how to proceed.

good luck with your boost project, i love
my whipple

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

I was wondering if getting it dyno tuned after supercharging is the best way to go.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

my whipple
what do you mean? leaning out is not what get from a dyno tune. getting tuned on the dyno simply means the tuner is correcting the a/f to the given conditions the car sees. whether it be too lean or too rich, timing too advnaced, or could be advanced further to make more power. a one-size-fits-all reflash is usually richer and timing is more retarded for safe measure. Getting it custom tuned corrects the a/f and ignition to be at its optimum level and to make sure the owner is not running lean in the first place. Since most mail-in tunes are richer, leaning out will not pose any hazard.

Getting professionally tuned at a reputable tuner is the only way to extract the most horsepower in the most efficient fashion. It does not depend on what blower brand you go with. With any type of boost, turbo or s/c, getting tuned is the best way to go. Its your engine's reliability at hand. Tune is the most important part of the setup.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

ORIGINAL: hammeron

my whipple
what do you mean? leaning out is not what get from a dyno tune. getting tuned on the dyno simply means the tuner is correcting the a/f to the given conditions the car sees. whether it be too lean or too rich, timing too advnaced, or could be advanced further to make more power. a one-size-fits-all reflash is usually richer and timing is more retarded for safe measure. Getting it custom tuned corrects the a/f and ignition to be at its optimum level and to make sure the owner is not running lean in the first place. Since most mail-in tunes are richer, leaning out will not pose any hazard.

Getting professionally tuned at a reputable tuner is the only way to extract the most horsepower in the most efficient fashion. It does not depend on what blower brand you go with. With any type of boost, turbo or s/c, getting tuned is the best way to go. Its your engine's reliability at hand. Tune is the most important part of the setup.
I agree...take it from someone that had allot of issue with his mail order tune post saleen. I will tell you I got my tunes and retune and retunes all from the same VERY REPUTABLE and well know saleen tuner mailed to me, but still had major issues. went and had my car retuned by Justin at VMP and all I can say outside of it running, and doing itallot better is WOW....Highly reccommend it. dont spend 1000's on a supercharger and other parts and save $500 (avg) on the tune....that does not make sense to me. IMO
Old 11-17-2007, 07:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I think what Hammy is saying is the canned tunes from KB or Whipple are not bad but are on the rich side, they run perfectly well and but are on the safe side.....you can go for a dyno tune if you wish and they will lean out the a/f to were it is optimized...
Old 11-17-2007, 08:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

bingo

matt understands and he doesn't even have a s/c
yet

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I think what Hammy is saying is the canned tunes from KB or Whipple are not bad but are on the rich side, they run perfectly well and but are on the safe side.....you can go for a dyno tune if you wish and they will lean out the a/f to were it is optimized...